The motorcycle thread

Wheels fitted with new mudguard and Ti bolts for the calipers. Very happy with how it’s turned out. Yay, :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s miles too hot on the patio to do anything past 11am, hope it cools down next week.

11 Likes

Looking sharp!

1 Like

Lush!!

1 Like

Air tools!!

Seems like having an air compressor is going to make a lot of jobs easier and I’m also going to have a go at my own respraying. First job for it is to see if I can get the pistons out of the brake calipers.

9 Likes

Spraying probably won’t work with a 24l tank, although it depends on what you’re spraying and the quality you’d like. You’ll also want inline water traps if you’re spraying. That said, the most useful bit of kit in the garage. I use one all the time for various shite.

1 Like

Same here, I bought a 50ltr one on discount and it’s really useful. It has a high enough flow rate to do course spraying (like stone chip stuff under the car) but not for posh stuff. Mine gets used a lot for cleaning and spraying off the detergent to leave it nice and dry.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks @Bob Will experiment and see how good it is for spraying. Will let you know how it goes, although I’ve got a lot to do, in the meantime.

In other news, I’ve been scouring the tinterweb for a replacement fuel pump and the one manufactured by Quantum is unavailable. Idly browsing eBay today and a German seller was selling a genuine Mitsubishi replacement, brand new. Way more than I wanted to spend but happy to source a new, genuine replacement.

1 Like

I’ve got to put the project to sleep for a bit, mostly because I’m waiting for stuff but also because summer bank holiday is paperwork weekend for me. So the bike is back in the garage safe and sound and if the weather is cooler next week I’ll probably get back to the shed build. Might get the fuel tank soon in which case I’ll post some pictures.

There’s still tons to do, I had hoped I might get it done this year but things are taking so long it’s unlikely. Delays aren’t my doing, wheels took six weeks to powder coat, tail unit is still waiting for bits seven weeks on, gaskets and o-rings on back order with an unknown delivery date, fuel tank has been on order for nine weeks and if he doesn’t get it done this week he’s on holiday for six weeks… Etc, etc.

Quite pleased with how it’s turning out though. :+1:

12 Likes

Looks ace @AndyS I’ve enjoyed seeing the progression.

1 Like

Looking fantastic Andy and frustrating as it is, your patience will be rewarded in the build.

2 Likes

Will be worth the wait. Looking great, Andy.

1 Like

They’ve put me on the poster again. I need to start having a discussion about my image rights :rofl:

7 Likes

Another bike night but not much there that I haven’t seen already. The old BSA rat was at a previous one but got to chat with the owner tonight.
What a character, proper eccentric old guy with a garage full of bikes in various states of repair.
This one and another are going to be in BSH magazine soon. There was petrol p1ssing out of the carb, straight on to the exhaust so he he pulled the fuel pipe off and stuck a screwdriver in it. He’d got various tools taped all over it and reckoned he could fix pretty much anything at the side of the road. His other one is over bored with high comp Beetle piston and has barbed wire for a HT lead. He says he’s going to do the same to this one which will take it out to 720cc. It spits, farts and crackles like a b4stard, I love it.
He doesn’t go to classic bike meets as they’d stab him🤣

4 Likes

I’ve never seen a Scrambler in the flesh, are they as small as they look?

1 Like

Yeah, they’re pretty compact. I don’t think I’d have spotted it had I not overheard someone saying “Ooh look a Ducati Scrambler”. You could easily walk past it as any old small trailee.

1 Like

I think the Desert Sled is a bit more ‘proper bike’ but it has a proper price as well!

1 Like

Watching the Manx GP highlights on ITV4. Now they’ve merged it with the Classic TT it looks such a cool event; 250 2-strokes, 700cc twins, RC45 and era superbikes.
I’ve never been but this makes me want to go even more, looks a bit more chilled than TT week.

4 Likes

I’ve booked the steam packet several times but never actually made it over. TT road trip?

1 Like

It’s a no from me but everyone seems to be loving it :man_shrugging:

One of my few regretts not competing at the Manx.

1 Like