Trail & Ultra Running Thread

Thanks GB,

It is just sinking in how well I did. So here is a wee write up.

I only signed up Friday week ago, had been to-ing and fro-ing about another crack at the 6 hour meet record and the big one. I had some mates doing the 24 hour, so thought why not…

I didn’t really have a target, but thought 200k seemed a number I could expect to reach.
Not through any kind of testing other than many many runs I have concluded 130bpm is a number to not stray much above, so that is what I did, though not obsessively, just when I remembered to look at my watch as basically I plug music in my ears, eat and drink as much as I can and switch off.

I seemed to be going through each hour in 11k for the set of 10’s, then that slowed as expected to about 10k an hour. It was quite hot at the end of the day, but I had thought about the (really hot) hot) TP100 the other year when I blew, but came back. So I backed off slightly and was prepared to blow, but it didn’t come. However lots of other seemed to be affected by the heat and I found myself with about a 12k lead (which is about 90minutes I guessed at) around 100k.

Pace inevitably slowed over night a bit more, I found for a while that every drink I had was resulting in me needing a wee, but then i was p!ssing more out than I was intaking, but it was all clear, so all good, (I think), but it was bl00dy annoying! I suspect I had consumed a lot of liquid in the hot part of the day (with a lot of salt) and my body had held onto it until it decided it didn’t need it. Clever things these bodies!

Anyhow, just kept rolling, building my lead. Went through 100 miles in 15:58:nn, which I am super proud of and then after 200k the sun came up. However my eyes could not handle running straight into the sun, so they would shut which I think was triggering my brain to sleep and I was literally sleep walking around the track for about 8k (stupid f*cking bodies). However I then noticed that even though I had about 30k on 2nd in the men, the lead lady was getting a little close. So managed to wake up did come more calculations and thought I could possibly get to 220k, so decided to not eat or drink, put myself into that hurt box we all have and just run hard.
I ticked over 220 and then you get a block at 5 minutes-ish to go to put on the track when you finish. So I floored it, possibly run a sub 4 minute last k :confounded: and squeeze out to 222k.

So there I am, NZ champion 24 hour champion, not something I could ever have envisaged, well ever really, have even been interviewed by athletics NZ to boot.

and then remember this now dormant thread GB? Sub 75 half. Well that November race is Saturday…

17 Likes