Tri Bike Gearing

Easy if you know how!! Looking into things I don’t have a tool to remove the crank, a strong enough torq wrench to refit it to 45nM, threadlocker or grease.

Time to buy a load of new tools or call the bike shop …

Are you sure?

Mine is 12-14nm

It says 45-55Nm on it so I’m reasonably confident despite my lack of mechanical sympathy!

I only asked as that wasn’t what I was expecting but bottom brackets are sometimes that high.

The star thing tool is just what would be forgotten when buying second hand, presume they are easy enough to buy if you know what they are really called!
Without it I don’t think you can get the cranks off?

I found the spacers between the chainrings quite fiddly to change so I think 10 mins is rather faster than I would expect.

I always just used my thumb jammed in there, and I have a tool, it shouldn’t ever be tight.

Mantel, who presumably should know call it " Shimano TL-FC16 Hollowtech 2 II Crank Cap Tensioning Installation Tool" - Shimano TL-FC16 Hollowtech 2 II Crank Cap Tensioning Installation Tool - Mantel

The man with the star shaped thumb :rofl:

I’ve had a crank come off because it wasn’t tightened up enough so err on the side of tighter.
I even carry the “Shimano TL-FC16 Hollowtech 2 II Crank Cap Tensioning Installation Tool” on long rides although maybe I should be less paranoid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once again, thanks for this and few of the other replies on here. I’ve started thinking about upgrading my front cassette to a 54t, then remembered there was some wisdom on here.