Tri Top Trumps: your card

Following on from a recent thread, imagine you are a card in a game of top trumps. What would your scores out of 10 be for S/B/R/anything else? Any superpowers?

me:
swim 5/10
bike 5/10
run 6/10?
fear of marine wildlife: 8/10

superpower: no, other than being dull enough to have had no other hobby for the last 31 years.

11 Likes

S: 4/10
B: 7/10
R: 8/10 (except IM Run which is 6/10)
Tā€™s: 3/10
Turning up on race day fit, healthy, rested and niggle free: 0/10
Persistence in a even a stopped clock is right twice a day sort of way: 10/10

10 Likes

Ive heard your swim tines youā€™re selling yourself short with a 5/10. Your 400m PB is better than mine and I have the body dimensions of Phelps.

7 Likes

Sandbagging 10/10 :roll_eyes:

19 Likes

Swim: 8/10
Bike: 6/10
Run: 3/10

Training for 17 hours a week for an Ironman and ending up in hospital the week before and missing it: 10/10

14 Likes

Adjusting scale based upon the opening figures from Fruity:
Swim: 3/10
Bike: 2**/10
Run: 1*/10

ā€˜* Might be a little harsh on the run, but at the end of a tri Iā€™ve never done a decent one! Therefore probably over biked so ** reduce bike to 1/10

9 Likes

Swim 3/10
Bike 6/10
Run 5/10
Packing list(s) 9/10

Canā€™t have too many lists :thinking:

9 Likes

Ohhhā€¦.

Swim 7/10.
Bike 2/10.
Run 7/10.
Calves 1/10.
Ability to exercise over 90 minutes 0/10.

8 Likes

Swim 3/10
Bike 5/10
Run 3/10
Ability to not quit 8/10

Superpower. Stupidity.

9 Likes

Swim 2/10 I can but just donā€™t
Bike 8/10
Run 8/10

Kit coordination 10/10

11 Likes

Swim 9/10
Bike 6/10
Run 3/10

Internet Forums 9/10
Nutrition 6/10
Sleep 3/10

11 Likes

Love the thread

Swim: 6
Bike: 8
Run: 5

Lightning quick T2s
And ability to always bring the rain: 10

11 Likes

@Adam

Number 1, you forgot hair: 10/10.

8 Likes

Not sure who we are benchmarking against here? Chris, Daz, Matt? Or just age groupers of our current age? Iā€™m pretty sure fruity is better than that but as he hasnā€™t done many longer events, and the Cotswolds last year wasnā€™t his actual formā€¦

Anyway, for a laugh!

Swim 4/10 - up to 5 if I CBA to train :roll_eyes: and the water isnā€™t too cold
Bike 6/10
Run 7/10
T1 1/10
T2 7/10

Probably take those numbers down a notch for IM, theyā€™d be 70.3

My superpower would be my ability to look like Iā€™m having some kind of stroke on racing photos :flushed:

16 Likes

i was kind of thinking ā€œtalentā€, whatever that may be

eg. someone with a really high score for running would be able to go as bash out a pretty fast 5km or 10km without really training much. if they trained properly , they could do something really special.

eg #2 , have given myself average marks, I had some ok-ish run times in the last couple of years for a M45-49 but it hasnā€™t come easy or fast, itā€™s been ground out by running about 5 days per week for a few years. But someone with more talent / aptitude (as I see it) might have gone the same speed with much less training, or faster with the same training :man_shrugging:. Or I guess way faster with more and better training, or if pursued by bears .

2 Likes

At the risk of derailing another thread, where you see talent, I see lack of a mispent youth. Most notably swimming, yes there is genetics that give you a body shape or certain flexibility that @Hammerer says are important, but the biggest differentiator for most AG triathletes is did you swim as a child or AOS.

Similarly running, I am living off my conditionning from 30 years ago, not in a fitness sense, but range of movement and to some degree just an expectation of how fast I should be able to run.

Cycling I came to late, I have limited expectation and am still developing, particularly wrt fuelling long rides and handling/decents etc.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree. I didnt swim when young, only took it up mid thirties. As I joked above I do have a swimmers physique (not at the min, because belly), my arm span is 3 inches longer than my height, which is already bigger than most people.

I was probably one of the fastest non-early swimmers in the the club, but the people with a history of swimming were way faster

5 Likes

Back OT.

Swim: currently 6, and falling post pandemic
Bike: indoors 8, outdoors 6
Run: 7.5

Transitions: always seem to be 8 compared to others, what do people do in there?

Superpower: 1st half of the run.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve weā€™re doing it as an across-forum comparison then Iā€™m 2s across the board :smile:

Unless superpower can include funky arm-only dance moves when running with my earphones in, which would be a 10. The singing is probably a 6.

And also whimpering when I get tired and start struggling then swearing loudly to myself to get over it. Thatā€™s an 8.

9 Likes