Triathlon X / Brutal

The X is a great event. I’v done it 3 times.

It’s tough but achievable. Approach it like an ultra rather than an IM - just keep moving forward, prepare for a long hike up the mountain.

Don’t worry about the bike- most of the route is very rideable. Half the field will end up walking on Hardnott!

3 Likes

I did the the Brutal Half last year and loved it. I would have gone back this year to do the full but holding the event on August Bank Holiday weekend put me off - the mountain section will be nose to tail with walkers so you’ll be queuing to get to the summit.

1 Like

It’s not on BH weekend.
It’s on August 31st.
Bank holiday is the week prior…

…it is, however, on the same weekend as UMUK.
Which shares some roads and paths with The Brutal.

I have decided. I am going for the Brutal. I’m not scared of the X, but the Brutal being 3 months later works better for me. I need 6 months of losing weight and getting back in the groove, then 6 months of hard training. There are some other things I want to do early in the year as well and they would otherwise be too close to the X. X for 2021 I think.

3 Likes

You will (or at least hope so) the Brutal and Claire Smith and her crew. It’s the Ultra family and everyone is welcome and the best part, you don’t race as a number but have a first name and everyone knows you.

3 Likes

Well done with your Brutal choice, look forward to hearing about your journey, am sure that you’ll smash it, as the youngsters say.

2 Likes

This sounds a lot like my dilemma. Did the Braveheart a few years ago, so that got me a 70.3 up the Ben. Last year was half Brutal, which got me Snowdon. This year did the full Brutal. Because of high wind the start was delayed, and the swim slightly shortened. They also shortened the run slightly but not by a huge amount. And 2020 entry is already in for Triathlon X so if all goes to plan will have done 3 Peaks.
The Braveheart bike was simple, out and back, but the run was hard. The Brutal bike course was harder but the run was easier. The laps around Padarn are deceptively hilly. Great fun coming down Snowdon this year at about midnight. It is a really clearly marked path and I could run the whole way down. I am not a competitor, I just do these for the personal challenge. I finished this year in 15.44 off maybe an average of 7 or 8 hours training a week. If you fancy something unusual give the Brutal a go. It is really friendly, and because they run a double, and this year a triple they can be flexible about cut offs.

2 Likes

Celtman?

IT IS BACK FOR 2021 @gingerbingo

(JurassicMan)

1 Like

Well I have an entry for Triathlon X due to cancellation last year. Trying to get back into training… Must admit, it would not be my first choice of event after such a long lazy period…

5 Likes

Thread moved here: