Triathlon X - Extreme/Full/Half

Hey all, I have an entry for the Triathlon X Extreme for 2020 but am now
unable to do it. I can transfer it to someone- anybody out there want it? I will sell it below the current entry price as I paid less than the current price, just message me if interested. Cheers

Anyone know if Tri Extreme happened at the weekend, and if so, did TC enter it (and turn up late for the start hah hah).

Anyone do it?

Many, many, many months later!

I have closed the other thread here.

The race reports have been read.
Fred Whitton has been completed (not by me, just by club mates yesterday)
Scafell has been scaled (well, 20+ years ago as part of the national Three Peaks, but hey!)
And I can swim in cold(ish) water, Helvellyn anyone?

Struggle was a piece of the proverbial, recce’d it twice and did it in the rain last year.
Nothing to worry about there.
The descent, however, was horrific.
Aira Force was also nothing to worry about.

However, doing the Struggle six-eight times, then locomoting 27 odd miles on foot afterwards?
Different story.

This is looking like a go-er for 2022, only problem is it’s Staffs 70.3 the following weekend :open_mouth:
And the 113 the following day :wink:

Hmm…TT smackdown, followed by some suffering at Stafford, or, a full day out in the Lakes???

Just updating this thread since both TC and I got included in the planning for next year (well, we kindly got asked our opinion).

The ultra and full next year (2023) are interlinked with an “in the moment” choice of route. Both does the Struggle and heads out over Wrynose/Hardknott, but you can then chose

• to go Ultra, turn around and Hardknott/Wrynose it to Ambleside, and then another Wrynose/Hardknott/Hardknott/Wrynose (2 laps over the biggies), or
  • to go Full and continue on an easier route which loops around to Coniston (almost exact same height gain as the Fred, so the old Full X).

The run is then the Ambleside horseshoe clockwise and counter-clockwise for 21k each lap.

It’s quite a cool format since you can adjust on the day. If you’re running a bit late for the Ultra there’s still a Full race to finish.

Price is the same for both.

6 Likes

We’ll be there. Booked in at the Youth Hostel.

3 Likes

The Fairfield Horseshoe was the original plan for (at least) the 1/2 X but I remember it getting changed before it happened. Nice to see it back on the cards again.
For me personally, I’d probably find the 2 horseshoe loops harder than the out and back to Scafell Pike… not as easy to quit :rofl:

2 Likes

@Chrace meant ‘Fairfield’ Horseshoe btw not Ambleside. (bless, he’s a suvverner.) The full clockwise loop, then a reverse anti-clockwise loop. No support runner or owt is required, even on the ‘Ultra’.

Ultra stands for Ultra Hard btw not over distance. both the Full & Ultra are 140.6 (ish) IM distances.
The Ultra is basically a revamped ‘Extreme’ but substituting 2 loops of Fairfield Horseshoe instead of the moonscape run over to Helvellyn summit and the YHA, and back.

By default everyone is basically just doing the standard ‘easier’ Full bike route loop via Coniston and back to Ambleside HQ. And then doing the same loop but in reverse.

BUT, if having just gone up and down Wrynose & Hardknott from the East to West, you are still then stupid/brave/foolish enough to want smacking up for more 1in3 etc super hilly suffering, you just ‘sign up’ somehow or confirm at the Aid Station before Eskdale Green, and turn back to immediately repeat Hardknott & Wrynose West to East. Then doing it all again.
Obviously, all those turning back against the flow of mere numpTs will be viewed by said numpTs as g0dlike heroes. :sunglasses: :sweat_smile:

Basically, once you’ve been smacked in the face by doing Wrynose&Hardknott once, are you daft enough to go back and do them 3 more times? :open_mouth:.
Or just take the ‘easier’ (still hard) option of continuing on the standard Full route.

1 Like

Much prefer the simplicity of the old TriathlonX.

Ride the Fred, run to the top of the mountain & back! Job done!

1 Like

Indeed. Fabulous race. So why wasn’t Mark sold out and turning away entries?!
For the numbers that did turn up, it just wasn’t worth the huge risk & logistics. WCPGW? Everything basically!! So you have to applaud Mark for running it for so long, took some b@lls.
This is the next best your gonna get.