TT with disc brakes

Those wheels are an absolute steal on Wiggle at the minute :scream:
What pads are you using with them - black prince?

At the best part of a grand for a set, define steal?

1 Like

Rear disc or rim brakes have no difference in terms of aero performance. On the front there is a trade off. with a disc brake there is a lot more freedom to design the top of the fork to be much more aero. With a Caliper, the wheel has to be pretty much a fixed distance from the top of the fork. However, an aero caliper, can be hidden behind the fork or designed to be very aerodynamic, whereas a disc will have some aerodynamic cost. Ultimately I think that front discs will become more aero than calipers, but fork design will have to change

But getting real, at 40kph, rider is 65-70% of drag, wheels are 20-25% bike frame is 8-12%. The difference in drag from a caliper vs disc is probably somewhere in the sub 2w category. Having a front tyre that is wider than the rim is >10w penalty, so get a nice wide rim, with 23mm front tyre for max aero

2 Likes

They were when I paid £599 with 40% off last month

They weigh 1400g, I get a tiny bit of flex at 500w when climbing, but on decent climbs when I am maintaining 300-330w I can’t detect any flex. They seem like a brilliant set of wheels

1 Like

Just using the prime carbon pads that came with the wheels

1 Like

At Wiggle?
Think I’ll hold off!

Been wanting a pair of “cheap” lighter, shallower climbing wheels and don’t want Hunts

Yes on Wiggle

I prefer the feel of shallower wheels. I know that there are not as Aero, but they feel more responsive and less prone to wind. When riding with a group, staying together on the flat is pretty easy, willy waving happens on the climbs, and lighter shallow wheels are better

1 Like

But deep wheels look badass…

I’m still riding my Campag Zondas and still love them and the way the rear spokes are laced!

2 Likes

Anything hilly in the wet. Like IM UK for example. I really wish I had them the last time I did Perranporth in a downpour. If you want to use full carbon rims, then they improve braking in the wet hugely.

4 Likes

IM Weymouth… came really close to a big crash 2 years ago, when I overshot the corner due to complete lack of brakes in the rain

1 Like