Warning ! E Bay consider "delivered to an address" as you receiving it

Evri are awful

I hate the photo on doorstop proving delivery despite buyer not being in. Most orders I get from Discogs - signed for/ tracked - but postman always just leaves by door regardless - think this is statutory since covid hit

I always buy online with PayPal - full refund if item goes missing. But in this case it’s hard to prove and there may be little you can do. What an absolute muppet delivery guy.

Fortunately only had one item in almost a thousand items that have not materialised. The one which was a similar situation to yours - I couldn’t do anything about

Guess for future communicate with seller and ask for signed for/ request better courier - or better, chose a pick up point

At the very least tho you can leave a scathing review of the eBay seller and knock his score down

Problem is that most of these Gig Economy delivery people aren’t hired for their intellect. That was the weakest link in the chain.

RM seem to have really upped their game of late, and the likes of UPS, DHL & DPD are a much better bet. FedEx are dogsh1t though when it comes to delivering anything on time. Avoid.

DPD deliver a lot of my deliveries these days. Usually get the same 1 or 2 drivers who are always pleasant

2 Likes

Lol - similarly I ordered a crossbow just when covid hit. Thought it was end times - for just in case the neighbours kicked the door down trying to steal a tin of beans :rofl:

5 Likes

No even that - they’re just in a rush. Any excuse to get another delivered isn’t it. But evri are the nadir of courier services - and they have zero accountability vis their customer service

1 Like

Our Evri guy, and there’s only ever one, is far and away the best local delivery guy.

2 Likes

That’s exactly my experience as well, lovely old gent.

2 Likes

I use eBay to buy stuff regularly, never had any problems. I went a long period using them exclusively instead of Amazon.

Always sell stuff on marketplace, you get a lot of cheeky twerps trying to get stuff for next to nothing but get used to ignoring them.
I always do buyer collects and only send after a conversation with the buyer.

Almost all deliveries here get dumped outside since COVID, some drivers hide stuff some don’t but we live in a very nice part of town on a very quiet street with plenty of curtain twitchers so never had a problem.

The closest I came to any conflict was buying a second hand wheel on eBay. For reasons best known to himself, the seller went on holiday to Thailand during the sale, took the wheel with him and posted to me from Thailand.
It was impounded at customs pending an import levy which I refused to pay. eBay refunded me without a quibble as the wheel hadn’t been delivered.

Yes ours is okay in my limited experience.

1 Like

I bought my porker off flea bay
4 of my 5 bikes, one really was very good VFM.

I’ve sold loads and bought most of my xentis wheel collection off there too.
The odd duck head but mostly positive

As regards E Bay sellers, one thing I have learnt, or relearnt I should say:

98.5% positive feedback is NOT the same as 100%.

98.5% may sound high but it reveals a lot. Decent E Bay sellers will do almost anything to avoid a negative review, and the E Bay feedback system does its very best to ensure that the seller has a chance to sort out any issue and avoid the negative score. They very much encourage / direct the customer to contact the seller and sort it out, I may be wrong, but they maty even give the seller a chance to put it right after the negative score ? (TBH I can’t remember) so if the seller still does not rectify the situation that reveals so much…
So, if 1.5% (that’s 1 in 66) of a seller’s customers are so ****ed off with him they still put a negative score on, that’s actually quite a lot.
When we did E Bay sales we had a 100% positive rating, and my (mainly) mail order business has pretty much all 5 star ratings on Trustpilot and Google. And there’s reason for that…

I have just discovered something, something others left in the same situation as me might want to check up on…

I did not bother checking this at the time because I, naively it appears, assumed the seller was actually bothered if I got my £82 order. But I have just been back to the item (on E Bay) and clicked on Delivery options and this is what it said :

Free postage Free United Kingdom Economy Delivery (Royal Mail 48)

He did not use RM (who would not have left it there, they never have before, they’d have carded me) he used Evri.
i.e. he has not stuck to any contract, so apart from the fact he is morally in the wrong, it would appear he is also legally in the wrong too.
As someone who knows quite a bit about carriers and the RM I assume he used Evri rather then RM because the item was over 2Kg. RM are much more expensive for items over 2Kg as their next weight break is 10kG, plus it cannot go RM48, it has to go RM24.

I have tried to reopen the case with E aby and we’ll see what happens…

3 Likes

Well you seem to have all the answers and an open and shit case, so just sit back, relax and wait for your £82 to come winging back through the door any second now. :smile:

3 Likes

I am not confident at all. At the end of the day, even if the seller has clearly broken his carriage conditions, if E Bay do not force him to refund me what can I do ? In the real world I am not going to sue him am I, even though I am mad as hell, for the principle as much as anything.

Here’s some more very useful advice on this same subject which someone gave me :

The way I see it now is your report it stolen online and get a crime reference number. Then put a claim in to your bank, credit card etc and they can use it as evidence.

I am pursuing a case with my bank but did not report it and get a crime ref number. Hopefully anyone else reading this will use that piece of excellent advice I was given and it will strengthen their case.

1 Like

There’s a mechanism for collecting in person. You get a QR code the one scans the other and confirms pickup

May not have been in place back then.

2 Likes

This has never been worth it for the money, but it is for the principle. Anyway, things seem to be moving on.
Anyone ever in this situation, esp with E Bay, needs to read this:

I ended up speaking to an E Bay manager at their customer services (they do ring you back pretty quick actually) and she assured me that Evri would give me an admission of non [safe] delivery, “I see dozens every day”.
However the method she advised (using their webchat) did not work :

Evri’s webchat (Gawd I hate them…) just kept going round in a circle repeatedly showing the picture of it in the (unlocked glass…) porch then not giving me the option to ask any more questions, except to re-enter the loop…I then tried phoning them, never got through to a human being, the system just kept repeating the same message that the item has been delivered.

I gave up, then, in desperation, a helpful guy off the E Bay Community suggested I write to the MD’s support team ( MartijndotDeLange at evri dot com or try myhermes at mailgb.custhelp dot com). As proof I sent a pic of the front of my shop, right on the main road with with the bus stop right next to it and within 24 hours I got my E Mail admitting it had been left in an unsafe place:

I would like to confirm this parcel has been left in unsafe location on 18/11/23. Unfortunately due to poor delivery I must deem this parcel unaccounted for. Please assist customer further with required compensation.

So I uploaded screen shot of that to the link I’d been given by E Bay customer services and we’ll see if I get a “manual refund”. I am told it has to be a manual refund because E Bay will not reopen a case once it’s been appealed and lost.

I still blame the seller, I should never have had to go through all this. Discounting the fact he should never have sent an £82 order (which he was not prepared to cover the loss of) unsigned for, once the problem occurred he should have asked for the proof it was left in an unsafe place (the above mentioned photo) and he should have sorted it out himself.

4 Likes

More on this, one of the helpful chaps on the E Bay buyer’s forum stated :

You have far greater rights dealing with a business seller as they have to ensure that you receive the parcel (not just to have it posted like a private seller) and its their responsibility to ensure this happens.

the seller’s performance [appears not to have been] fitting the Business Seller registration and their mandatory requirements.

We bought a couple of pillows, only around £15 worth, from ebay a few years ago. So it was Hermes then. They never arrived (I suspected never delivered and kept) and we got replacements quickly from the seller.
The last few years our local Evri delivery guy has been great, but I still don’t trust them to get the parcels to him!

1 Like

Can’t wait for this thread to be turned into a Hollywood film.

I, for one, will not be watching it.

8 Likes

Yep… on Discogs I’d think very carefully ordering from a seller with that score - partic if high turnover. Rarely order from sellers with less than :100: unless I’m willing to take risk for something

99.5 or 99.8 maybe after checking the feedback

1 Like