Watcha Listening To?

Yes mate, seen JBT and Xavier Rudd a few times in Sydney. If you like it a bit pop/punk check out Grinspoon, they were a staple night out in Oz and used to play at my local now and then. (The Sands Hotel at Narrabeen).

1 Like

Another from my childhood for Poet…

4 Likes

The 80s was my childhood so I’m totally biased, and I will only ever view it through rose-tinted spectacles. But, the scope of great music and films (particularly kids/action/adventure) was surely superb, and I’m not deluded?

2 Likes

Being born in 84 I obviously don’t remember them, but I too have a soft spot for 80’s music/movies

Snap, 84 for me too.

Movies yes, though probs drifting into the 90s I would imagine. Music, not really. Can’t say I like 80s music on the whole. I didn’t get ‘into’ music until I was much older at the turn of the millennium.

Like your taste @Poet, most of my favourites there. Ever come across 'Attack! Attack! ’ or The Academy Is… Or the Blackout or VersaEmerge. I liked them too. At one stage in mid 00s could just look at the Fueled by Ramen record label and enjoy every act they had.

2 Likes

OK. Now I’m in a rabbit warren.

Spotify finding all the lost favourites of my youth! Just came across this one, I’ve not heard in way over a decade!

1 Like

Good call @Chriswim - just looked them up. Not only do I like a fair few on their current roster, but scanning through their ‘alumni’ is bringing back some (more) forgotten stuff I used to like.

I was born in 1965, so for me, the 80s were the decade of leaving school and heading to Oz not that long after. I was an avid guitarist at the time and the 80s were generally a dearth of synth induced music to vomit to.

The ‘rock’ scene wasn’t much better with big hair, double tapping and noodling being the the flavour of the day. Even Van Halen had gone a bit pop. I was still listening to Randy Rhoads at that time as my main influence.

I did like the indie scene though. The Cult, Jesus and Mary Chain, Sisters of Mercy, Zodiac Mindwarp et all. But apart from early GnR, for me, it was a musical wasteland until the likes of Mother Love Bone came along and opened the door for Mudhoney, Soundgarden and others. That was like a cool drink of water!

3 Likes

I’ve not heard of a single band you listed there @FatPom, but that’s a quality recollection there. You must have a great memory!

Not for me, the 80s was awful culturally and jot just music. There are some good songs amid the Luther Van Dross in the charts, but I think the 70s and 90s were better all round.

2 Likes

Apparently about masturbation as I discovered today while searching for Longview, GreenDay

Only for the things that don’t matter! I’m trying to write a presentation for an interview. Haven’t used PPT for over 10weeks and I can’t seem to remember how to do anything. :laughing:

1 Like

I really liked Iron Maiden; still have some on my phone play list for Zwift.

1 Like
1 Like

For anyone that likes their pop/surf, check out Hoodoo Gurus. I’m not sure if they are popular here?

Watched one of those old TOTP the other day and Jilted John with the classic ‘Gordon is a moron’ came on :smiley:

3 Likes

My brother always listened to The Levellers; seemed popular with the surf crowd in the late 80s/90s.

1 Like

I was going to tell you I’m not a complete heathen and explain why Le Freak by Nile Rodgers is one of the best songs ever recorded. But then I found this version and couldn’t resist. :grin:

Yep, they were very good. :+1: