Watcha Readin'?

Is that the one about the women at NASA? There is a film based on that as well

2 Likes

At the start of the year i finished Year Of The Locust by the same chap who wrote I Am Pilgrim Terry Hayes.

It was one of the worst books I’ve read in ages. First 3/4 was fine… then it just went to utter shit.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s the one. She watched the film on the weekend but I was out.

1 Like

Now finished Quiet, the power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking.

Quite enjoyed it although it rambled on a bit at the end which was fair enough if raising children was relevant to you.

Kind of confirms a few things I thought and suspected, and others that are quite obvious once you read it. Not completely just slagging extroverts off and accepts society needs both, but how in America particularly the culture is for brashness and any quiet is thought of as a weirdo!

And yes, I’m a massive introvert and proud :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I read that a few years ago, agree that it has a strong central theme but rambles on in the second half.

1 Like

‘Best Served Cold’ by Joe Abercrombie.

Finished it a couple of days ago and have been pondering on just how much I liked it.
At times it romps along, at others I found it hard to pick up (it took 2 months to read which is a lot longer than any book for quite a while, even allowing for Christmas / New Year). For a while I thought I might give up on it … but the final third was really good and it finished very strongly.

Looking at reviews I saw one of his other books for 99p so decided to have another go … but maybe not for a while!

1 Like

The bloody post, this lot turned up earlier. :man_facepalming: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that any school starting with ‘St’ is a hotbed of vice and religious guilt

5 Likes

Just got St Trinians in my head :rofl:

3 Likes

Looks expensive
:flushed:

2 Likes

All of those things above. This is the main pic in the ‘activities’ brochure. £9k a term to flip a bloody pancake. :joy:

8 Likes

:grimacing: that will sting!

2 Likes

£45k a year of pre-tax income on school fees
:flushed:

On the bright side, LO is clearly heading towards an athletics scholarship at a US college, so you can spend her university fund on school fees :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I don’t think there is any way it can happen without a decent bursary but we won’t know we can get one until we put her the entrance mill process and I’m not sure I could live with giving her that disappointment if she passes, then we can’t afford it.

She picked the wrong parents :joy:

5 Likes

£9k a term is going some. When we looked at Bedford Girls for our youngest that was 15k a year. Plus youve then got loads of other expenses on top. Not least GCSE fees which can run to nearly 2k

1 Like

yer we pay about 5.6k a term, then extras , but not too many, just school trips and stuff. lunch is included which isnt at some schools . Next year we have GCSE trips, Geography trip to Iceland, a trip to Barcelona for Spanish (It’s Catalunya so not sure the relevance there :wink: ) and skiing trip to Switzerland, switz is 1.8k Iceland is about 1200, Spain we haven’t been told yet. “we will add it to the summer invoice” as we regularly get told

4 Likes

My mistake, it’s £8.5k :smile:
That’s this year, Lord knows what it would be in a couple of years time.

2 Likes

Otter’s Barcelona trip is for PE…

3 Likes

Pickpocketing Education? :grin:

2 Likes

I think my mate was paying £6k per term when his eldest started at Hampton about 10 years ago. There was a lot of cost on top of that, like the school bus, the iPad that they had to buy in the first year and the school trips (Spanish trip to Mexico FFS :roll_eyes:).

I think it was almost a relief to them when their younger son stuffed up his entrance exam and didn’t get in so went to the local state school :man_shrugging:. Obviously then they kept unfavourably comparing the state school to the elite private school :roll_eyes:.

My mate reckoned his son did better at the private school than he would have done at the state school, but he was struggling to meet the standards that the school expected. The school didn’t want to enter him for some of his GCSEs because they thought his grades would adversely affect their league table position :flushed:.

When it came to A-levels, the school would only have him if he only did 2 A-levels and not in the subjects that he actually wanted to study. At that point, they saved themselves £20k and put him in the state school

4 Likes