Watcha Readin'?

Yeah SS school (that sounds wrong :smile: :see_no_evil: ) has some pretty exacting standards and is genuinely a school that you can’t rock up with a carrier bag of cash from Bank of Whisk and get your kid into.

They even kick out the the kids that have gone through their primary if they don’t make the cut to secondary. having said that, apparently they put in a shed load of effort with those kids.

O/S are not compulsory unless mandated for the curriculum and in that case, school pays. (at least that’s what they told us at interview).

2 Likes

Our girl has similar.

Art trip to London (2 day, 1 night), skiing in Italy, Spanish trip, iirc that’s Barcelona too. I believe next year the art trip is either Paris or Amsterdam. History is to Germany I think.

3 Likes

Ive been meaning to read this for ages. Its about the disastrous decisions made by military leaders in the opening months of WW1 and how that impacted the war.

It was a favourite book of JFKs who drew on it during the Cuban Missile Crisis and encouraged other world leaders to read it and learn from it.

Finally started it tonight.

11 Likes

Along with

1 Like

I need to start writing these down as a reading list. Keep seeing books I think I will want to read and then forget about them. First one in your pic im definitely interested in.

1 Like

Yours is now in my reading list. Thankfully I am now getting back into some reading (though not the extent of previously).

The UE book explains how the U.S. use prisims to duplicate fibre optic info, and then use it to control the world, allies and enemies. The authors are prominent Americans, who think, as a result that “the world order has been brought to the brink of chaos.”

1 Like

Ive just finished this. I love Broady, one of my favourite all time sportsmen, but his life has been fairly middle of the road, nothing too exciting or outrageous in here, worth a read if youre a fan but think it wont appeal beyond that.

3 Likes

I have bitten the bullet GRamsay, and will be starting it today/tomorrow. It sounds really interesting, (from reviews) how we bumbled our way into war.

If you get to read Underground Empire, that interestingly notes, in a different context, how the US is doing that today.

In the meantime I am reading an investigative reporters book of whistleblower accounts of uap’s, written from an Australian perspective.

Excuse the sock and cat food bowl.

It’s good to have got my reading desire back. A planned three months off reading turned into the best part of a year!

1 Like

I like The War that Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan on the same topic.

1 Like

We enjoyed the Reacher series on Prime so thought I would give the first book a go. Nearly through it and quite enjoyed it, not :100: I will bother with the remainder in the book series though.

2 Likes

All the Reacher books are basically identical. Bar the one where his bro dies. I think Barry Eisler’s John Rain books are better. Even Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt books are better but very dated. That being said I have read a dozen Reachers so I’m somewhat hypocritical.

4 Likes

I find them enjoyable low-effort poolside holiday reads. Think have probably chomped through them all now. Some are pretty dark in places

3 Likes

I’ve read 4 I think, they don’t come up often for the 99p kindle deals…

2 Likes

Finished. 5 months for a book I wouldve done in a day as a teen.

Worthwhile.

Details the dismantling of democracy around the world, then reflects those history lessons into the US. Mostly Trump but also broader and over the last 60 years. Troubling.

4 Likes

Another one onto the list, ta!

3 Likes

Ive read every one. Easy reading that can be picked up on a train or poolside and dropped again. David Baldacci has some really good series, bit more to them, Camel Club series is decent , read first “Amos Decker” book and pretty good as well.

1 Like

And done.

I haven’t read any reviews or discussed it with anyone so this is my unadulterated opinion on the award winning book.

1. Exceptional science of language employed, I’ve never seen etimology intertwined in a story like this except some glimpses in some of Terry Pratchett’s work. It really is amazing to have a book that is in one way science fiction, the science of languages.

2. It’s written for the Harry Potter generation. I haven’t read Harry Potter, but it’s a bit obvious.

3. It’s written for first or second generation immigrants, it really explores this throughout. I’m not a first or second generation immigrant, and I don’t believe in race. I certainly don’t believe in the notion of motherland.

4. It’s anti- Britain, and anti-Empire, which is fare enough, but the main protagonists are thin. They get to a point in their thinking and stop, perhaps the depth of a teenager but not an adult despite their ages.

5. From chapter 14 I couldn’t take it anymore, for me the protagonists become the bad guys, and the bad guys the good guys.

6. There’s some interesting exploration of non-violent protest in the last chapters, which strangely also remind me of Pratchett’s work, very different, but nevertheless.

So, if you’re interested there’s a lot of worth in there, a lot of politics I happen to think is nonsense, but it is a looong book. And for me, not much pay off - I sped through the last fifty pages. But if you have strong feelings about Harry Potter, translation and the evil of the British Empire, you’ll love it,

3 Likes

Just starting Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, so far so good - looks like our resident doctors are ahead of me @Chriswim and @fruit_thief

1 Like

best book about sharks I ever read

The Missing Lynx by Ross Barnett.

A review of mammal extinctions in the UK and beyond. Mammoths, sabre tooth tigers and other megafauna, then more recent species like wolf, bear, lynx and beaver.

I learnt a lot and his writing style treads a good line between entertainment and science. It’s never too geeky, nor too sensational.

2 Likes