Watcha Readin'?

McLaren have never been the same since he left…

Mrs FP worked for McLaren for 4mths on a contract. She worked in the road car division but used to come home with amazing tales of who was in the (very posh) work restaurant and the cars (and bikes) in the atrium.

This was in the Button/Hamilton era. Apparently Button was pretty cool and said hello to everyone and never had more than a couple of people with him, Hamilton, less so.

No food or drink allowed at any desk, only a 500ml bottle of water and everyone had the same bottle. Personally, I’d not like that but she loved it.

1 Like

i’d never be at my desk!!!

4 Likes

Ron Dennis ran a very very tight ship. Never really warmed to McLaren…

Enjoying “The Expanse” series of books. Up to book 4 now. Watched the first 2 episodes of the show on Prime but struggling to warm to it. I may persist.

Just read chapter 1 of Sapiens. Looking forward to it, although probably going to be a slow gradual read alongside other books.

I’ve read Sapiens, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century and I’m halfway through Homo Deus now (all the same author). No mention of pandemics as a major future issue in any of the books. Many experts have been cautioning about pandemics for a long time now so I can’t help feeling he missed something major and the books are already outdated as this current situation is very future-shaping.

I worked for the former road car boss when he moved to harley davidson - nice guy, but the wrong move…

1 Like

Reading To Jerusalem and Back - Saul Bellow

Indeed.

1 Like

i watched it happen…took my papers and ran…

Evelyn Waugh - sword of honour trilogy.

Good god man pull yourself together what?.. genius humour - great writing - failing that Iris murdoch - the fire and the sun.
She s great. Her philosophy reads differently to her books - Plato s cave and all that. Very interesting. … on another trip - Plato vs the arts. Aristotle bloody good show wot

X

No seriously …

Just virtually leafing thru’ latest Cycling weekly and thought I should definitely mention on here, in case any of you hasn’t heard of it, “readly”, aka Spotify for magazines. For £7.99 a month I read cycling plus, cycling weekly, 220 triathlon, cyclist, stuff, runners world, classic rock, edge, retro gamer, outdoor swimmer etc…
Might be you’d never buy mags but I used to pick up the odd one or two and now never need to, all of them are archived on my iPad too. Sounds like a sales pitch, but it’s not, I just think it’s a really well priced product, especially as my wife shares the subscription and looks at all her woolly mags too…

There’s another one called PressReader which also includes a lot of newspapers and international magazines, if that one doesn’t.

Bonus is I get it free from work, just need to find time to read them :roll_eyes:

Retro gamer is good sometimes.

Only the Independent and Metro at the moment. I guess with so much content online these days this may be superfluous, but I still enjoy a tea break with a flick thru one or other of them. And I’m sure I’d still be buying cyclist every month and occasionally cycling weekly so I’m probably up on the deal.

Hadn’t heard of press reader, but appears to cost a lot more (£27.49!) and I’m lucky if my employer gives me paper to write on!

1 Like

Hadn’t realised it was that expensive for PressReader. Wonder how much we are paying for it.

A small benefit of academia.

Tim Moore - the cyclist who went out in the cold; probably go back and re-read the TdF one afterwards

2 Likes

The TDF one is definitely worth a read, as is the Giro one where he rode a stupidly-long Giro course on a historic bike.