Watcha watchin'?

Yes, never read it though

1 Like

Olympics in Brisbane 2032. We’ll be there celebrating GCSE success (yep, it’s a 10 year plan!) :rofl:

3 Likes

The new nick cage film - the unbearable weight of massive talent

It’s hilarious

First ten minutes had me at his boozey washed up meta best

1 Like

It’s a great read. Very funny.

3 Likes

Ooh - the Good Shepard on Netflix. I liked that when I saw it. Underrated? I like all that 50’s, 60’s espionage stuff when they’re handing each other odd dollar notes, leaving things under park benches and walking around all paranoid. How anyone managed to get any espionage/ surveillance done though…

2 Likes

Might give that a go. I like the sixties spy stuff as well, dead letter drops etc. John Le Carre type stuff.

1 Like

Yeah it’s the best. All very seductive and sort of quite innocent. Invisible ink lol - maybe it’s sort of stuff that we liked as kids. Hidey holes etc sneaking about

1 Like

Exit Wounds.

1 Like

Film’s ok. Bit plodding and style over substance I think. Nice to watch still

The Terminal List on Prime with Chris Pratt playing a navy seal

Slow burn until towards the end of ep 1 and then drags you in

Up to ep 7 now

1 Like

I’m watching Lilyhammer

It’s hilarious. Is it a character from the sopranos?… he goes to Norway under witness protection. Less fish out of water, more fish out of water but still in the water lol - it’s so funny

3 Likes

That’s ‘Little Steven’. guitarists for The Boss and from The Sopranos. I really liked the first season but it did drag on a bit after that and I gave up.

Pretty funny set up though and the interaction with the guy from the language/cultural ctr is very well done.

He’s also in The Christmas Chronicles for a cameo in jail.

2 Likes

2 Likes

T2 on telly

Never ages

You don’t miss mobile phones. Maybe a current 15 year old will watch this with detached consternation the same way we watched 70s disaster movies but I think the ageing is way more subtle as tech progresses.

What’s great here is so much was talked about the CGI but it’s barely used. It’s understated and inferred - the security guy at the drinks machine for example. Or thingy moving through the bars. You knew this tech was coming so it wasn’t a surprise but it’s not overplayed. I always think the success of the T franchise is that it’s all about the empathy and the interesting ideas. The robots are barely needed

4 Likes

If you have Disney+, you might enjoy ‘Light and Magic’.

This is a limited series about ‘Industrial Light & Magic’ and their development of special effects.

Great if you like ‘behind the scenes’ in general and have a soft spot for ‘StarWars’ in particular.

However, I’m sure many of the computer folk on here will also like to see what old tech looked like.

It starts with traditional model making and Ray Harryhausen type stop motion in the late 70s.

Then covers the invention & evolution of CGI and digital film making as we know it today.

Whilst both ‘The Abyss’ and ‘T2’ involved cutting edge technology at the time.

Apparently, it was ‘Jurrasic Park’ that finally broke the mould, making computers the future.

There are lots of interesting insights into a wide range of films.

Including the melting face in the first Indiana Jones film and how this scene was done.

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As always, I’ve got some catching up to do on this thread, but I’ll start with one recommendation…

If you liked ‘Dances with wolves’ & the original ‘Predator’ then ‘Prey’ is the film for you on Disney+.

Set in 1719, think ‘Dances with predator’ and swap Arnie for a teenage girl and you can’t go wrong.

3 Likes

Oh is that Disney + already?! Yeah might give that a watch.

Prey review.

Kind of a prequel (there’s a nice Easter egg right at the end) to the original and P2.

Tight 90 mins
Middle third is the best.
Good action and cinematography. Most of it avoids the “shoot at night to hide stuff” trope

As good as P2, not as good as Predator, better than all the others.

3 Likes

Does anyone shout get to tha choppa though.

1 Like

Mrs GB not as interested as me to watch Prey tonight it would seem! :joy:
Might look at Sandman or The Grey Man.

1 Like