Which beach

Sounds good! One place I haven’t tried is K-Bay in Dorset, I hear it can get a bit steep?

I’ve windsurfed Kimmeridge once, but that was half a lifetime ago… don’t remember it being particularly scary!

Mostly my experience of Dorset is pebble beaches and horrific shore dumps!

1 Like

Bigbury-on-Sea @gingerbongo ?

1 Like

… iiiin one.

Bullseye.

1 Like

Or as my kids would think it was Big Beyonce

Been there a few times when down there on holiday and it is soooo nice.

Always fancied staying in the posh hotel on Burgh Island but pure dollar :moneybag:

1 Like

Yeah, i think it’s all pretty pricey in South Hams to be fair! It’s a wicked section of coast all along there. Hope Cove, Salcombe etc.

Despite it not being far away it’s a bit of a pain to get to still for us. Roads are pretty windy and narrow, so take ages to drive especially in the summer season!

2 Likes

OMG - just looked it up and it’s £800 per night BnB for 2 adults :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Not cheap for a weeks stay :grinning:

It is such a nice setting though and Agatha Christie stayed there and wrote a few books.

I know! :see_no_evil:

I was just looking at the place out at Gara Rock near Salcombe for our 10th anniversary next year. For the ‘private secret apartment’ it was £1100 a night! :joy: :joy:

Yeah, nah.

Travelodge and a KFC it is Mrs GB. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I feel a bit ungrateful being bored of living here now; yeah it’s lovely in some ways, but there’s no coast, forests, mountains or rivers/lakes. Having spent my childhood on the south Devon coast and Cornwall, and a decent chunk of my adult life in Scotland/Bavaria etc, it all feels a bit mundane around here with all the farmers’ fields.

4 Likes

Not that either of these would have been great for a day trip from London or SE England, but 2 of my SW faves are.

1. Plemont Bay, Jersey

Great play beach when the tide comes in and creates little strips of sand connected by tunnels through caves. Also the warm sand warms the incoming sea, and it gets a great sunset. Watch out for weaver fish, both wife and I have trodden on them near the low tide line.

1. Lantic Bay, Cornwall

Another great play and swimming beach. Pretty inaccessible except by coast path and steps or by boat, so doesnt usually get crowded. Unspoilt. We saw a dead whale washed up there once.

5 Likes

I get major envy looking at photos on @Matthew_Spooner 's Strava feed

1 Like

Funnily enough, this is one of the things that prompted me to suggest the MH thread.
I grew up in the countryside but have always been a ‘waterman’ (which is ironic as I’m a diesel swimmer). Fishing, swimming, always in the water and at the beach.
Moved to Oz and of course, just surfed my nuts off for 27years and I miss not being intrinsically linked to the water every day. I’m a ‘doer’ not a watcher and I can’t even look at water without wanting to be in it.

We live on the edge of what I suppose is a desirable city, we have trails on our doorstep (almost literally). It’s safe, good schools and Little One has things in her life that lots of kids don’t.

But I absolutely yearn for the ocean and I’ve lived in all sorts of ocean settings to know the good and bad that comes with that. (especially drugs and high housing costs) but I still want it.

I look at my shitty car, tiny house and think ‘how the hell did I get here’? I know why we did it and I know we made a pact to embrace UK life and not attempt to replicate our Australian lifestyle (hell, we don’t even own a BBQ here!) but there is a whole part of life that’s missing for me and like Jorgan, we should be thankful for what we have but I miss being embraced by the sea.

5 Likes

Both look incredible. Maybe when my family is older I’ll be able to do beaches like that. Youngest is 2 and we need ease of access and more facilities. Leaves us with the more popular tourist traps.

I still remember some great adventures (BC - before children) where the beach was an hour+ walk to get there and very few others bother to make the journey.

2 Likes

I’ve always get a pang of jealousy when I see where others get to live. GB with his access to huge quantities of rural running, Matt and the Swiss alps and smooth roads, those of you who live near the coast and go sea swimming/SUP/windsurfing.

Hertfordshire is nice, access to lots of (tame) countryside and quick into London for cultural stuff and entertainment and good restaurants. What I really want is more good weather and more cafe/outside culture that med countries have, though I don’t speak other languages so ruling out moving anywhere else.

3 Likes

Yeah personally i could never move away from the coast. I’ve always lived within walking distance of a beach, and it’s all i know. Maybe a big lake, or proper mountains would be a stand in, but i think i’d still pine for the sea after a bit. Despite this i don’t sail or surf, but i love the water (probably should do more if i’m honest, but proabably fall foul of taking it for granted). I’m also not a busy place fan so, for example, avoided the beach most of last week (only went on 2/9 days) when i was off as i don’t like it busy. Which is probably a bit counter intuititive and something i just need to get over, as the kids certainly don’t care.

4 Likes

Try living in MK. All the amenities you need, but no coast, no mountains, barely even any hills, not a great deal of woods or forrests.

I grew up on the coast, although that was Eastbourne and the beach there is pretty crap.

But you have MKone…

You are very fortunate / have made good choices I reckon.

I grew up in Jersey, surrounded by beaches, & have such happy memories. Then ended up in The Midlands with uni then work and getting hitched, lived there for about 10 years. Birmingham/ Notts/ Derby/ Leicester. Perfectly OK places and again lots of good memories but I always felt the call of the sea.

First opportunity we got with my work, we moved to Cornwall - about 3 miles along the coast from the beach in the picture above - and then a bit later moved East to Dorset for work and family reasons. Our jobs ended up taking us to North Dorset which is further from the coast than I’d like, 25 miles / 40 minute drive. But it’s very doable as a day trip & there’s a decent mix of coastal scenery to choose from. Guess life is about compromises sometimes, but I’d find it hard to live in “The Interior” again.

4 Likes

I have never lived on the coast but am in the process of moving there now.

My house is progressing with a sale but struggling to find the right property so will rent up in the area first then hopefully find the right place to buy when we are there.

5 Likes