Windsa, victim of its own success?

If you need to ask it’s best you don’t know!

Ironman Journey. It’s a god awful Facebook group, mainly full of bad advice, moaning and abuse

I definitely followed a more traditional route, starting shorter, progressing up, and only going long after about 5 years in the sport. But I struggle to justify shorter races than 70.3 now. The faff is still the same, and without having a car, sorting out logistics and everything that goes into a race, for 2hrs of racing, just doesnt seem worth it.

I’ll still try and do some local London events where I can, so the odd aquathlon, duathlon, or pool sprint, but they’re all generally one’s I can cycle to within close proximity of SW London. But having done Southport and Deva Oly’s last year, I just didn’t enjoy them and the effort involved is no longer justified (for me) by the racing duration.

That said, something like the Weekend Warrior really does appeal, as a totally different type of challenge involving sprints. Again, because of the duration.

Thanks all. This makes a lot more sense than my initial guess of Ironman Johannesburg.

Just tried to go have a snoop but you have to request to join and it seemed like too much effort.

I often wonder if it’s a silly question to (central) Londoners, if they have a car! Seems like it would be a burden most of the time.

too much effort to join is probably the best approach. I’ve joined the group 2x and left in short order both times (within 24hrs 2nd time) as I got annoyed with the idiocy on display.

1 Like

Yeah it’s faff. My wife and I only bought one after we moved out of central to Kingston. Tbf it still doesn’t get much use as we don’t use it to commute.

Is part of the reason for the popularity of longer distance triathlon related to the age demographics of those who take part perhaps? The average age of those taking part in triathlon in the UK is in the 40’s I believe. There is a popular perception that as we get older (don’t be offended 40 year olds!) our endurance improves but we lose some of our speed / power abilities. This could perhaps lead someone who is in their 40’s to chose a longer distance event because they believe it is more suited to their abilities, rather than an apparently “short” distance where speed is more important.

Maybe nothing in it, but just a thought.

that would be a perfect answer except that a sprint try IS an endurance event…

I personally love a sprint tri, and will rarely be found doing anything else at the moment, nothing beats getting your HR up to the max for the entire event!