Winter Olympics 22

It seems like the number of countries wanting to host Olympics generally is shrinking as the cost of doing so becomes harder to justify. That was illustrated by the fact that the 2032 games were given to Australia without a bidding contest.

The Winter Games are pretty niche on a global scale. It’s pretty much all rich northern hemisphere countries taking part. The nature of the sports means that you’re never going to get the “Eric the Eel”-type competitors from African nations taking part in Alpine skiing events, so the number of countries taking part is always going to be limited and so is the number of potential host nations…

4 Likes

There’s a fairly disturbing quote from some Loughborough Uni researchers at the bottom of the beeb article that @joex posted saying only 10 of the 20 winter Olympics to have hosted the event since 1924 will have enough natural snow to host the event in 2050

If I remember correctly, Beijing were the only host city in the running this time round - and they don’t have to justify their expenditure to tax payers

4 Likes

Desert Olympics? The World Cup is already going there…

Camel Racing
Dune Buggy Racing
OW Swimming
Sand Castle Building

2 Likes

They have ski slopes in the desert…

1 Like

Australia wanted to bid for the winter games once. FOMO

1 Like

It snowed in Amman in Jordan last night

2 Likes

It would’ve been good to have it in Aus - the ski-resorts are reliable snow aren’t they so no reason not to? and how perfect to have the winter olympics in july/august to screw with everyones training!

1 Like

Yeah in theory. Oz has more snow coverage than Switzerland but the resorts are spread out and with the possible exception of Jindabyne, they are pretty small and would struggle to cope with the influx of peripheral staff for the games, let alone spectators.

However, I expect there was enough dodgy money to be thrown around to make stuff happen. The real issue with Oz snowfields is the weather. What tends to happen is you get great snow in the morning, then the sun shines a bit, it melts, then it gets windy AF and makes everything very icy.

Airports might be an issue as you’d have Melb about 4hrs south and Canberra about 3hrs north. It could work but events would be very spread out.

2 Likes

c’mon Lake Placid is a village of a few thousand people and has hosted the winter olympics twice! You don’t need much…

All of the recent places have completely built new too haven’t they, there was nothing at Sochi and Beijing not sure about pyeongnang?

I bow to your greater knowledge.

I’d rather poke wasps up my arse with a burning stick than watch curling. How do you make a supposedly competitive event out of cleaning the bloody floor? “Artistic” skating, moguls, half pipe, and ski jumping can get the f in the bin as well.

XC, Biathlon, LT speed skating, and super G. That’ll do me.

And no, I’m not fun at parties. Or anywhere else.

I’ll get my coat.

5 Likes

I’d add the downhill and bob events but the rest can FRO as you say.

I really don’t get curling other than we got a medal a few years ago!

I’ll add the Luge!

I like anything with speed and crash potential. Curling can FRO for sure, so can Rob Warner commentating on slopecrosspipe of whatever the fuck they call it.

I love the rest of it

He does sound like he’s sat down on a triplet of mousetraps which’ve caught each of his organs of thought, doesn’t he?

Judged sports can FRO in general… Let’s not get started on things that shouldn’t be in the SUMMER Olympics.

1 Like

Surfing!

1 Like

If you’ve got figure skating then why not have ballroom dancing?

Bring back olympic architecture I say

artistic poetry

Olympic Snow Angels would be fun to watch.

Snow drift jumping.

A choice of 6 drifts to jump into, competitors have no idea on the depth of each one but there’s a glass divide which means the crowd knows which the shallow or deep ones are, get double points for going head first.

3 Likes