2021 New Year’s Day 5K PB

Who’s up for it?

@Poet loves this stuff, and @Memphisraines thinks he can beat my 24:30 :wink:

What your plan? Build up to a 100km/week or buy a bike?

I’d need a Parkrun to do it I reckon.

1 Like

I’ll have a crack.

Given my PB is over 5 years old, can I get a reset? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are we talking running or cycling? It’s my birthday the day before so it would be 50/50 if I was to make it.

1 Like

Yes. Discipline required to avoid too many beers the night before. I’m predicting a few DNS’ or sub par performances

2 Likes

These days, I only count PBs that are post spinal ops, because anything before that is completely irrelevant and were attained with a fully functioning body.

So IIRC, I have a 20.17 to my name. (part of a duathlon bizarrely! ). so a sub 20 would ‘YUGE’ as the seppos say.

I’m not sure how it would sync with endurance running but I know for sure I’m losing that top end speed because I have nothing to push for.

2 Likes

I’m supposed to be doing a 24k trail race so not for me.

How about over the Christmas period? Not sure I’ll get near 18:5x by then though.

1 Like

Yeah close enough.

There’s no way I’m setting any run PBs any more, given I was probably around 17 mins in my early 20s,

Call it an M45 Pb :joy:

3 Likes

My 5k pb (19:10 ish if I remember correctly) was when I was training for IMUK and the TDS with basically no focus on speed… there’s a lot to be said for big aerobic capacity!

2 Likes

I’ll throw my hat in but a pre-new year Pb. No chance I’ll run on NYD.

official Heaton Park PB of 19:55 (hilly). Did run a flat 19:50 in a Duathlon once but sure how accurate it was.

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely interested! Again, might have a few too many beers the night before, but at some stage Christmas week would work!

1 Like

I think a hungover 5k should get extra points somehow.

1 Like

Are time machines available?

2 Likes

I have a 17:32 this year from club 5km race but even that seems a longtime ago.

@joex Don’t think I could get anywhere near it. :woozy_face:

But might be on for a before and after instead, maybe hopeless grim hungover NYD 5k then slim, sexy post dry January version a month or so later. I’ll still be shit, but I’d be headed in right direction at least.

Anyway, good luck on your mission!!

2 Likes

I am miles and miles and miles away from my pb right now! I think I’d have a hard time going under 20, 19 would be pretty doubtful.

well give your legs a few days to recover from the double VK and you’ll be great.

1 Like

@Poet offered to eat his hat if anyone could 5k pb in an individual time trial at the start of lockdown…

2 Likes