2021 New Year’s Day 5K PB

If HP is back on I’m going to start doing a few when the boy’s football matches allow.
Northwich is way too far to drive for a 20ish min run.
I can run to HP and home.

Although if I move to the house I just viewed in Alpraham then Northwich will pretty much be the local one.

1 Like

Oooh, we viewed a place in Alpraham 18 years ago when we last moved.

I’m guessing you’re working east from there?

Working in/ around Chester /Wirral / N Wales it turns out the places I liked (all further out, Delamere, Cuddington, Bunbury etc) would have been bloody awful as a commute…A51 towards Chester is notorious round here.

Hopefully your commute if it’s going other way will be ok. But I’d check the roads cos there’s so few they are all bloody well saturated!!

Good luck anyway. Shit moving house.

I work in Manchester City centre but from home also. Only commute 1-2 days a week.

Ah. The M56 is truly awful isn’t it. If you’re only commuting twice a week then why not Chester?

Good station, connections, bike racks. Could get a place in Mickle Trafford (!) and you’d have access to millennium greenway all the way to Wales, top schools nearby, easy cycle to station…

And if you absolutely have to take the car the M56 is “at the top of the road.”

Just saying…

1 Like

Have looked at Mickle Trafford but love it around Tarporley and seen a dream property that we could live with parents in a cottage on the same grounds.

I’ll leave at 6am on the days I work and do a long day till about 7pm so not too long a drive.

1 Like

Tarporley is great. Indeed it’s part of my best 40k loop.

But always early doors.

If you do it after 10am on a Sunday somebody on that high street will car door you, or flat out run over you!

Price to pay for a thriving regional town beloved of old fogies…

1 Like

Has anyone started prepping yet?

I started running again on Tuesday, a fairly taxing 10k with the run club. Intervals today, HR went through the roof with 800s so I switched to 400s and eased off the pace.

Saw LS set his 5K PB on youtube, so a bit of inspiration for the coming weeks.

2 Likes

I’ve done a few reps recently, doubt it will be enough for a PB but if I can keep going I could do 19:30 on a good day. Hoping for a break after Dorney though.

3 Likes

Forgot all about it TBH but now I’ve deferred AoA, I could focus on some short stuff after Eton Dorney mara but my speedwork is shocking at the moment.

3 Likes

There’s no chance I’m breaking 17:07, but I can have a crack at a sub 18, figured out a decent course for it :wink:

I’m doing a loosely structured 8 week block aimed at getting back into a shape to run a decent 5k

1 Like

Porlock Toll road? Got to be a pretty good option!

is the plan to run this actually on NYD, or just close to?!

If i’m training for this half in Dec, hopefully that’ll mean i’m in ok shape for 5km. I won’t be PBing, or getting close. But maybe a sub 17.30 would be on the cards. That seems like a decent winter target after the race (as long as i don’t eat too much at Xmas!! ).

1 Like

Bit of a trek!!!
I was more thinking;

Wizard Inn
B5087 into Alderley Edge
Downhill into Alderley
Left onto the A34 bypass
That’s a gentle downhill for a while
5km!

My house is kinda where the (H) is.
About 500m from the 3.5km mark

1 Like

That sounds good, and extra frightening on the main road with all the cars to encourage you through fast at the end!

1 Like

Just reading this back. Why did you back off @joex due to high HR? If you were preparing for the quicker stuff, then surely 800s at a high HR is a good thing. Means you’re working the speed systems well.

Were you looking to avoid injury or just didn’t fancy the session (it happens of course)?

Not digging btw, just wondering.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It’s a single carriageway bypass with a super smooth 2m wide cycle/footpath + grass bridleway either side of it.
It’s amazingly brilliant for tempo, speed and boring long runs (it’s 10km out and back from my house)

Looks good but that uphill just before 4K looks brutal :wink:

1 Like

that’s a big hill for @Poet!

2 Likes

Im still recovering from the virtual Ironman, my HR was about 10bpm over what Id expect for the interval when fit. I just want to get my self back into the regular running while Im in recovery rather than try to force new adaptations.