2022 Random Race Thread

What’s the final target for Boston then Steve?

Gonna give sub3 a go. Heartbreak Hill may well derail that in the backend, but so long as I finish, 2:59:59 would be a really nice thing to have done, and if it ends up being 3:20 then :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

And let’s face it, who hasn’t been derailed in the backend by a marathon once or twice. (Nice euphemism btw)

Hope it goes well :+1:

1 Like

Weirdly I just saw on FB that lad I run with, an Exmouth Harrier finished 2nd at that Queen’s race. Small world.

I saw him running. The club vest jumped out at me as being British

1 Like

@stenard, saw that on Strava…. Good work!

What was the race like, big city marathon feel or odd spin off?

Small in all honesty. Similar to runthrough events in the UK if you’ve ever done any of them? Just a whole lot more expensive!

I can’t believe it attracted a field of strong runners. I was 40th out of nearly 500, and it was a pre-marathon taper run for me! 2 guys ran 73mins which is rapid, but there was only one other under 80.

2 Likes

Regents Park 10k

Plan was to run it on tired legs so did a bike workout last night before going to a friend’s for cheese and whisky. Perfect prep…

3 lapper. Plan was to set off around 4.05 and try negative split for a sub 41. Lap 3 the tired legs came back to bite and I had a couple of slower kilometres of 4.20, 4.13, 4.12.

Final time 41.23 which is an official PB. The last timed 10k I did was also in Regents Park in 2017 when I went 43.40.

22 Likes

Great result off tired legs and a night on the booze.

Well done Jgav!

Oohh whiskey and cheese. That must’ve made itself known in the morning.

Great effort on the PB though. Definitely a sub 40 in there waiting to come out!

1 Like

Great result :+1:

Well done @Jgav.

Also, kudos on the excellent nipple game.

6 Likes

Smuggling some peanuts there.

Nice run @Jgav :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Aero nips. Strong running!

What is it with my nips. They just wanted attention!

2 Likes

Why do I do this to myself? Did an actual triathlon, first one since September 2019. They are a right faff aren’t they? Was sure I was going to forget something; shoes, bike shoes, helmet, number belt, spare swim hat, goggles - tinted or not? And it rained. Saturday was a glorious day for a pootle around the lake and a refreshment afterwards, Sunday at 7am was overcast, occasional rain, wind, cold.

Still, managed to get to the start, opted for the mass start to try and find some feet to follow. All too soon that failed, so most of the swim was spent solo. Swim was down on previous, but that is no surprise as I’ve only been back swimming for a couple of months and even that was interrupted for a few weeks when the road came into contact with my shoulder.

Still seemed to be a fair few bikes in T1 when I get there, and out on the course I’m passing plenty of people, although they are all riding upright on road bikes and obviously from a previous wave. I think I see 2 TT bikes all ride, and no-one comes passed me, but I’m a bit down on power and speed, probably because the extra exertion from the swim, and also because I’m not in a race with anyone around me.

Early on the run a marshall tells me I’m the first from my wave. Again I’m running along passing people but not actually racing anyone. I hold my pace over the undulating route, not sure how much I could have pushed if anyone around me was running my pace. Finished in 2:16, I think roughly 2mins per leg down on previous, transitions a bit ropey too.

Legs and back are now in bits. This is supposed to be fun right? Single discipline events are so much simpler…

19 Likes

Seems like a great result! :+1:

1 Like

Well done buzz, haha why do we torture ourselves. Just put it down to lack of actual race practice and fitness!

3 Likes

That sounds like a cracking result, all things considered. :clap:t4:

Did you get an AG win or anything?

1 Like