2022 Random Race Thread

Looks great and great job!

I watched the clip and at 33s the boat traces along the wind-surfers, it looks to get quite close! Wouldn’t it create additional waves for them??

It’s the craziest start line: Basically its around 1000m long, The boat starts on the pin end of the line, then travels up the line at 80kph. You need to start behind the boat. There is an advantage starting up wind, however, this is offset by the 25s that it takes the boat to get from one end of the line to the other.

It’s much better to start as close to the boat as possible so that you are not in the dirty air from 1300 sails, however, the wake from the boat makes it very tricky.

How this ever gets through health and safety I never know, it does feel pretty risky when you are on a windsurfer, doing 50+kph, heading directly into the path of a boat doing 80kph and trying to judge passing just behind the boat

6 Likes

All,

Has anyone ever done an ‘Epic’ events….

…. Been looking at the 4k swim in one of the lakes in the, well, Lake District.

Seems like a decent challenge without the suicidal commitment of a 100+ mile bike ride and marathon straight afterwards.

3 Likes

A few, usually very well organised and friendly.

Fairly sure somebody commented on another thread about doing their half last weekend at Windermere

1 Like

Yes very much recommend the company, well organised, simple, good-value racing in nice NW locations :+1:

1 Like

Is anyone racing the Cotswold Classic this Sunday?

Yup.
Them and TriHard are fantastic.

Brilliant value, brilliant people, really friendly low-key atmosphere.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thank you.

Booked up this summer, but going to sign up to one of the 4k swims next year.

Quite excited, in all honesty. Something different, but a real challenge and less chance of getting injured.

1 Like

I’ve done a couple of their swims. Derwent is quite shallow so tends to be warmer, although I think they use the pooley bridge end of Ullswater rather than Glenridding which is freezing

2 Likes

Technically it’s the 113 tomorrow, and the local PR this morning had a few fast guys who are down for the weekend.

Wet and windy out on the course this morning, forecast has deteriorated as the week has gone on. Only bright side is the wind direction means tail wind for the 2nd half of the lap.

4 Likes

Oh nice. Would you recommend one over the other?

Just looked, Ullswater is where the triathlon is so likely to be cold, that would be me out of the long one.

I personally liked Derwent, it used to start just near Keswick and I vaguely recall it being shallow enough to see the bottom in parts.

They also do Coniston but I haven’t swam in there, the others tend to be stupid distances like 5 miles :flushed:

I did the great north swim in Windermere which wasn’t too cold.

I’d probably go with Derwent tbh

That doesn’t sound pleasant :grimacing:

4 Likes

Doing an oly in Weymouth tomorrow.
Forecast for 7am: 13C, 10mph wind from the NE. 80% chance of rain.
:cold_face:

minging
think I’ll probably go with just a tri suit anyway though, the first 5km out of T1 are uphill so should warm up :man_shrugging: :cold_face:

9 Likes

Lunatic.
I did an Oly at Rother Valley and it was <10°, lake was Baltic.
I didn’t make it out of the country park until a marshal hoiked me off my bike, into their car, with a foil blanket.
Whoops! :cold_face:

1 Like

Not Hermes or the like?

1 Like

Foil. Darn it!

1 Like

Not sure you can darn a foil blanket. Bet Balenciaga do a branded version with rips in it :joy:

2 Likes

Have you been on the Jubilee whiskey already? :wink:

1 Like

Foil, weld it.

1 Like