4 x 4 x 48 challenge 2021

Last year was 100 miles in a week, this year I’m eyeing up the 4 x 4 x 48

4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours.

I’m thinking 8am Good Friday though to 8am Easter Sunday.

Any one fancy it?

2 Likes

Weirdly a mate was talking about that challenge the other day. Is it ‘a thing’ then?

… looks like a Goggins thing!

Yeah.

It’s a Dave Goggins thing and then there’s been a few videos on YouTube

Yep, it’s a Goggins thing. First time I came across it was in Living with a Seal which I found quite an entertaining read.

and I’m 48 this year, so seemed appropriate

1 Like

A friend did it this weekend, she never mentioned anything, just saw 4 miles runs popping up on Strava in the middle of the night.

Without wanting to sound like a bit of a tw@ i don’t think it sounds that hard. I may well be very wrong here (it wouldn’t be the first time) and doing people a big disservice! :rofl:

I did a 24 hour race a few years back in 2014 as part of a team of 5, and this was before i had started doing ultra stuff. I’ve just looked it up and we were running a 4.7 mile loop with 557ft elevation, all off road (i had to convert that back to imperial for you! haha). I, and i think all but 1 or 2 of the team from memory, managed 8 laps. Looking back at Strava (how good is it having all this at your fingertips) the laps took me between 32 and 37 mins, roughly going every 3 hours.

I recall it being pretty out there, as i’d not done anything remotely similar before (no silly through the night ultras etc), but not crazy hard.

I think the key is how quickly you are able to get to sleep after your run and how good you are when being woken from a nap. I’ve always been a good napper. Even in the day, a quick 15 min nap will pump me again for the rest of the day, whereas Mrs GB for example feels heavy, groggy and grumpy after a nap.

Obviously i don’t know your sleeping habits. But i don’t think it would push you overly out of your comfort zone as a high quality endurance athlete, from a physical/muscular perspective.

1 Like

Problem with doing it in the winter/spring for me is the kit faff. Too cold. I’ve been contemplating doing it one weekend in June.

1 Like

Yeah we did this in the summer, camping as part of an event. Worked out a routine of do your run, wake the one but next person up, then you go off to your tent. Worked really well. Think we won it as well, though it was only first year of a small charity thing.

1 Like

I think that’s the hardest part about it, the disruption and lack of sleep makes for a long two days. Adding in a total mileage that’s not insignificant.

1 Like

I mean…only one way to find out :wink:

8 Likes

One of the guys I work with is doing it.

running 4 miles good
running 4 miles at 2am and again at 6am? Not sure…

It sounds like the sort of thing that would be much harder to do at home as a personal challenge rather than as part of an event.

If you’re just at home doing it then there’s so many other things going on around you to distract you from the task in hand and who really cares if you keep going when you get 24 hours in and you really don’t want to pull on your trainers and go out for a 4 mile run.

Maybe running 8 miles with the 4 mile point hitting a 4 hour mark is the way to go, giving you 6-7 hours off?

1 Like

TLDR: Goggins is full of it.

David Goggins is another one of those highly ironic individuals; although perhaps by design.

“Fuck people. Be yourself. What other people think doesn’t mean shit.”

Then have a huge online profile, be an influencer, film your life and never wear a shirt. Okay David :see_no_evil: Much like Iron Cowboy, you have to wonder when they’ll let their families out from under their shadow.

Before you think I’m a hatin’. There are tens of thousands of guys like DG, and you would never know, they are humble. Take Bear Grylls; did about 2 years in the TA(!) and has lived off it ever since! He’s a huge embellisher.

I just hate all the disingenuous self aggrandising crap of the Influencer world. Yeah, I might have seen a couple of his vids recently.

Right, gotta go Oprah’s on TV in a bit.

7 Likes

Ok, so that’s a “no” from @Jorgan

3 Likes

But who’s gonna carry the boats?

I will too busy bashing a dustbin to get you all up at 0200. Wakey wakey, eggs and bacey. MAGGOTS!

:rofl:

2 Likes

What sort of maths is 4 X 4 X 48 anyways

4*48/4 shurely

3 Likes

Yeah never heard of the bloke either but immediately suspicious when there’s a challenge with some chap bigging it up.
Doesn’t get much credit as a challenge on the ultra groups but if you’re not already an ultra runner it’s a fair challenge or if you just fancy it to get some miles in, why not.

“Normal” runners look at it and worry about sleep, ultra runners have already done the maths and figured out not much to worry about by the time they’ve finished reading the description.

2 Likes