A thread to talk about cheese

had that one last time. just liked the look of this monthly selection

Donā€™t do the blue stuff though.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I had that photo from dinner 2 weeks back and I was wondering why I took it. This thread gave it purpose!

1 Like

Yeah its strong stuff considering its a hard cheese and it makes for a slightly too strong fondue too IMHO. Our next fondue iteration will be 50% Emmental, 25% Guyere and 25% Comte.

1 Like

Holy shit thatā€™s a bargain. can you freeze big blocks of cheese? iā€™ve never thought about that.

But itā€™s a few days worth?

When I was a kid, my Dad worked for a dairy, you could buy cheap cheese, it came in 5kg blocks, they didnā€™t last long in the fridge, one time I remember we got loads of it which had for some reason been on a boat to the far east, refused entry, then came back and they couldnā€™t sell it so we had most of the fridge full of these 5kg blocks of cheese that only just fit on the shelf.

Yes you can freeze cheese - tends to make it a bit crumblier when defrosted (depending on the cheese), but otherwise safe.

2 Likes

Its a good cheese if its all three at the same timeā€¦ but that takes a bit of agingā€¦ and things like brie are just reaching their full potential when you can spread them instead of slicingā€¦

Weā€™ve got a wonderful cheese shop near us, that has a massive range, from mild to eye wateringā€¦ its a fabulous assault on the senses when you walk in!

Itā€™s funny, I like strong flavours, black coffee, strong spirits etc. But I just hate that sort of cheese.

There is not much I donā€™t like, in fact itā€™s basically fish, seafood and smelly cheese.

Grated into a tub and frozen is the best way to do it. You can do it in bags but it tends to get compressed into a solid frozen mass that takes effort to break up.

An effort to beat @NickBerry ā€™s measly cheese topped beans the other day

3 Likes

I mean it wasnā€™t hard to beat was it? You just need some actual cheeseā€¦ Not some cheese mirage loosely floating over the potato.

1 Like

Are you sure thereā€™s a spud in there at all?

1 Like

Buried under 25g butter, 200g beans and 100g cheese.

Having more cheese with our tacos tonight, too.
Had a cheese and onion roll whilst walking the dog.

Itā€™s been a good day :cheese:šŸ«•

5 Likes

I must be some kind of chav ā€¦ We use both ovens all the time, the smaller one as both a grill and oven for smaller items :slight_smile:

As for cheese, I donā€™t really do firm/hard cheese and avoid anything blue
Soft cheese on the other hand I adore. Crumbly goatā€™s cheese would be top of my list

1 Like

We have a separate grill as well :wink:

Our second oven takes so bloody long to warm up I canā€™t be arsed with it. To be honest the whole oven is massively overkill. Itā€™s got 6 bloody gas hobs for god sake. Weā€™re only a family of four! It does look nice though

1 Like

Aah, makes more sense now - you have to crawl on the floor to get at the oven :wink:

Ours is a built-in double oven. We have an induction hob, one of the best things we ever bought (especially when your son has ended up in A&E after putting fingers on a halogen hob by mistake)

2 Likes

If we have kitchen space, the only thing weā€™d go OTT with would be a fuck off big fridge with an ice maker. I miss our proper Aussie fridge (not the baby thing we have in the garage.

I want something that has ā€˜Tyroneā€™ written all over it. :rofl:

1 Like

I had a terrible habit of burning teatowel on gas and electric hobs. So we got an induction when we did the kitchen out. Itā€™s ace. I can wipe it down pretty much immediately after cooking on it.

1 Like