Affairs of the Heart

Chest X ray clear, which is cool.
Full bloods had some odd results regarding haemoglobin and blood cell volume?? :man_shrugging:
So they’re doing them again and finally got a lung function test next week. :+1:
Still feel like I’m not able to take a full breath.

6 Likes

A few weeks ago I had a 360 health check at Nuffield as part of my works benefits. Yesterday I got the formal report and there was part in there not discussed on the day.

“The ECG has shown a minor abnormality of little importance called first degree heart block. This is far less worrisome than it sounds. This condition does not require further investigation unless you have symptoms (e.g. dizziness or shortness of breath).”

Of course it says not to worry, but… Anyone heard of this before?

Should caveat - not a doctor and if worried, go see your GP, however…

Prolonged delay between P wave and QRS complex. Slight pause in the electric charge moving through the heart. The advice appears correct that when found as an isolated finding, no specific treatment needed. It is considered a variation of normal ECG.

4 Likes

Can we get a cardiologist on Tri talk? Is there anyone out there lurking maybe?

So I’m not one but I do remember reading about the heart in books 25 years ago

It’s the big organ in the chest that isn’t a lung.

Heart blocks come in 3 degrees. 1st degree is just about how fast the electrical signal gets from the place where it starts, to the big pump. If it’s slower than a certain number, that’s 1st degree. Not usually a biggy is my understanding. We all have different plumbing and electrics. You are still getting all the heartbeats you ought to. However there might be some reasons to take notice- if you are being prescribed electricity slowing drugs for example then maybe a tweak could be needed.

2nd degree is more problematic. Not all the signals are getting through. This is usually at least a minor inconvenience and means you probably won’t win your AG in next sprint Tri. It includes the fabulously named Wenkebach phenomenon, where the conduction interval gets progressively longer until a beat is dropped. I don’t think these things are particularly nasty, but they are a problem in terms of athleticism because you probably aren’t getting all the heart beats you ought.

3rd degree. Bananarama sang about it. Not good, none of the signals are getting through. The atria and the ventricles are desynchronised. Your heart rate will probably be about 30, even when exercising, which you can’t. This is pacemaker territory.

Now what I don’t know, not being a cardiologist, is whether 1 leads to 2 or 3. I don’t think so. They are different things. But a cardiologist might be able to tell you more.

If only they’d stop lurking.

10 Likes

Also not a cardiologist, but will try add couple pointers later today, but basically what he said ^^^

ETA:
1st degree HB on its own is non-concerning, and is a common normal variant in athletes (I have it and know few others who do).
There is a normal deliberate pause in the electrical signal at the AV node (Atrioventricular, the joiny bit between between the atria at the top of the heart and the ventricles, the pump bit, at the bottom). Given athletes have higher degree of parasympathetic tone slowing the heart down, then this is where that acts.
1st degree heart ‘block’ just means there is longer than 200ms between the start of the signal and the the pumps contracting, but no actually ‘block’ in the worrying sense of the word as everything gets through.

ETA2:
Second degree heart block is bit more nuanced. There’s two types. The first, Wenkebach, is again relatively non-concerning on its own, and again can be a normal finding in athletes although rarer (again experience of close athlete friends having and seeing cardiologists).
The second type of second degree heart block is a bit worrying as can lead to third degree, so will often get prophylactic pacemakers to reduce risk of collapse.

As far as I’m aware there’s next to no progression of type 1 HB onwards, but usual caveats of this isn’t medical advice, see your own doctor who knows the details, don’t sue me :relieved: :hugs::+1:

10 Likes

It’s almost like @Chriswim has read the books more recently😄

8 Likes

But he may get the ventricles and the atrium mixed up, as he’s in Aus now.

4 Likes

Many thank @Chriswim & @fruit_thief for your comprehensive responses. Apologies for having you talk shop on here.

PS Perhaps you could have a word with your colleagues and ask them to come up some less terrifying names for these conditions? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In Oz, close enough is good enough :laughing:

1 Like

At least it wasn’t ‘heart failure’. I must reassure that one at least once a week

3 Likes

“Chronic Kidney Disease stage 1” is my pet hate

Essentially the kidneys are cracking on as normal, but someone thought it would be a good idea to spook people out by giving it a worrying name.

5 Likes

After my lung shadows, crash, no Ironman nightmare this summer …. I’m perfect, well I haven’t got cancer.

But I have got cysts on my kidney, only one of them I think ?

Appointment early Jan, so don’t think there concerned.

10 Likes

2 days ago I was on a team call with a colleague, he was saying that he didn’t feel too well, he said he thought he had heart burn. I could see that he was not really focused on meeting and looked a bit pale and sweaty. I suggested that he calls and ambulance. He didn’t call an ambulance, but did get his wife to take him to the Doctor.

Just got an email this morning, he did have a heart attack, and was taken straight to surgery on Tuesday, he has another operation scheduled next Monday.

22 Likes

lucky lucky bloke - well spotted fella! :+1:

7 Likes

Yes, what FB said, great call Matt.

3 Likes

I put a post up on the rant thread which got a lot of likes/ looks / hearts … whatever they are.

Guy from work literally dropped dead, attended his funeral yesterday 100”s from work in full dress uniform etc.

He had had several nose bleeds in the week before and was waiting for an appointment, he had a huge heart attack apparently and “wouldn’t have felt a thing” apparently ?!
Not sure about that but obviously anything out of the ordinary get it looked at folks, our “ type” is notorious for running off major problems.

Glad matts workmate is ok.

11 Likes

That is so sad. My collegue was showing pretty typical symtoms, and I guess was lucky that his Heart Attack was not as serious as the guy from your work. 3 people I know have had heart problems in the past 6 months, one of them is a very good cyclists and very fit in his late 40’s, one is a club cyclist, early 50s, but drinks too much and doesn’t have the healthiest diet, and my work colleague, who is just 40, slightly overweight, as far as I know doesn’t drink much, has a young family, but doesn’t exercise. Luckily the first 2 are fine, with no long term damage (apparently), hope my colleague also makes a full recovery

4 Likes

This guy was a really unusual prison officer to be honest.
Loads of grey hair, tall slim fit, ex rugby /cricket guy, not fit like people on here are fit, but proper healthy fit.
He had time for everyone, never heard a bad word said about him, several of the prisoners on his wing were visibly upset when they knew.

Watching his elderly mum and dad in pieces as they say goodbye to there 58 year old son was paticulary horrible.

Live for today people you never know what tomorrow May bring.

19 Likes

Interesting reading about the pale complexion. Few years ago an elderly painting pal came to visit a show. He looked really pale. I remember at the time thinking he had an unhealthy ghostly pallid.

Got a message a few weeks later from him - he’d had a heart attack.

1 Like

I used to be very prone to nose bleeds when I was younger. As a kid and a young adult I’d probably have them at least once a month and they’d start for no apparent reason. I became quite adept at stopping them fairly quickly without making too much mess, but I never thought to see anyone about them.

I haven’t had one in years now :man_shrugging:

1 Like