Alan Couzens & KQ - #Sciencefacts

HA ha :laughing:

The least subtle academic put down ever.

Why would you test your Colour Perception? :slightly_smiling_face:

Itā€™s all academic d!ck swinging; ā€˜my theory is better then yoursā€™. CPā€¦but why not FTP etc etc

Plus, I assume this is related to cycling as opposed to running? LT will be different for both.

ā€œTriathlon into the ninetiesā€ is partly timeless, as it doesnā€™t specify which century. Will be a good title again in about 60 years, and then again in 160, and so on for ever.

2 Likes

In 60 years the only part of a Tri still possible will be the swim as it all turns into Water World and we grow webbed feet.

3 Likes

Can you imagine the outcry if anyone posts shots of their webbed trotters on TT

3 Likes

The argument is that FTP is one data point where as CP uses multiple. I think the proponents of using CP are happy to acknowledge it has limitations, etc. more readily than those who use FTP. But that is just my opinion.

Haha yes he is, IIRC also John Wakefield, Jereon Swart, Jamie Given, Spragg Performance and Mark Burnley but that is from memory so could be wrong.

https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens/status/1580299055573258242?s=20&t=gRR5s8NzOfL9VbwvnUwUcQ

really interesting thread on run training zones and paces for Iden in lead up to Kona (4 months data and YTD)

3 Likes

NO. SHIT. SHERLOCKā€¦

ā€¦he trains, what, 30 hours per week?

If we, as age groupers, did 80-90% of our runs at 68% of race pace, weā€™d be forking walking!

8:00/km anyone?
Is that even running?
Thatā€™s a smidge quicker than walking!!!

He is a simple fella, isnā€™t he?

(although I do enjoy his panda dataframes)

11.5 kmh average run pace

73% of time in zone 1
14% of time in zone 2

Does AC say how good his data is? Is he just using what Iden puts on strava? And agree it would be helpful to know how many hours this represents

Another thread here, from his day-boo IM race:

https://twitter.com/alan_couzens/status/1457773483048398851

2 Likes

its about the effect it has on recovery by training in Z1/2, not the pace. Mara pace will be Z3 for most, thatā€™s too high to regularly train in without impacting recovery considerable.

Walking, thereā€™s a lot to be said about walking lots anyway. 4hrs in the hills is a great loading for IM training. If you are only running 9min miles in an IM marathon (sub 4 pace) then you may be faster walking chunks of that anyway

3 Likes

Someone in that thread pointed out that if running in mountains , pace will be slower but work done / training effect may not be less

Edit: just had a look at his Strava

Picking a random week, average pace looks closer to 14kmh. (120km, 8.5h) :thinking:

Maybe Iā€™m misreading though

1 Like

I was going to say the same; if these are pace zones then they will be skewed to slower paces by the approx 50% that was done at altitude (as per another tweet in that thread).

1 Like

Iā€™ve just looked at his last 15-20 runs. Almost all are at 3m45/km to 4m30/km pace

Won with a 2h36 marathon= 3m40 pace

Havenā€™t been back over the whole year data though obv :smiley:

1 Like

Isnā€™t it brilliant when people pick ā€œfactsā€ to suit their own agendas?

I donā€™t know any other area of life where this happens.

None at all :wink:

2 Likes

AC seems to be pushing the polarised training line over the last couple of years but this thread shows that Idenā€™s run load is pyramidal, surely?

1 Like

Isnā€™t that a can of worms this year as to whether polarised is actually pyramidal all along?

2 Likes

It is definitely not a tract of motor nerves, though, right :wink:

Here is summary of GI Strava run data.

3182 km run in 247 hours, thatā€™s 12.9kmh average (4m39 per km average)

Iā€™m wondering where the 11.5kmh average pace claim from

2 Likes

which is 3 hr mara pace , he ran 2:36 off a 112 mile bike which is 86% of that time, not the 75% Couzens worked out over 4 months but still quite low for him.

1 Like