All things camping & campervan

No, that’s Highlands End nearer to Bridport. We stayed there a couple of Christmases ago, it’s a really nice site.
The twilight zone is Manor Farm in Charmouth, we’re not staying there but I popped over to watch the football. The site is ok but we prefer Seadown, just across the road.

1 Like

Bought one of these for the campervan but tried it out with some burgers this evening and it worked great.

We don’t like cooking things that smoke and spit in the van, I have a Cadac already but this is less hassle, just plug in and cook outside for bacon, burgers etc.
I’ll keep the Cadac for when we don’t have electric or want to take it down the beach etc.

10 Likes

So I guess Nicola won’t be joining this thread as she’s had her £100k donation-funded luxury camper van seized by police. Were the Sturgeons hoping no one would notice and they’d keep it for a bit of retirement touring?

I’d love to see what £100k buys in a camper van, as opposed to a flat in Dundee for less money.

6 Likes

Probably a dumb question but where do you plug it in if it’s outside of the van?

1 Like

The wire’s 2.5m long and the van has a socket just inside the sliding door at floor level which is perfect for it.

1 Like

£100k probably doesn’t buy you much these days. A factory VW camper is about £60k, I think :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Pretty sure a factory transit is that too.

2 Likes

Wheels?

£100k would get you a very highly specced campervan but would barely touch the sides for a well specced quality motorhome

1 Like

Might have just ordered a new tent. Some good offers on but I missed the really good ones which finished yesterday. Now I need to tell the Mrs we’re doing more camping trips this year to justify it…

Berghaus Freedom 7 nightfall tent and carpet

8 Likes

Oh the Berghaus ones have the super blacked out bedrooms don’t they?! Good work!

Where is first on the list then?

One of the many reasons I wanted a new tent. Ours was 2nd hand in 2020 and we camp 2-3 times a year. This one is an air tent and easier to put up quickly. Supposed to be 30 mins where it currently takes more than an hour and that puts me off doing short trips.

• Dad’s and Kids trip (45 of us) is in May near Henley
  • August is the National Tri Relays in Notts which I’m doing with the club and family will come with.
  • Another weekend in July will go in the diary.
5 Likes

Nice. Yeah air beams are a game changer. I can put our massive tent up, solo in under 15 mins. Though we did have a beam blowout last year that i still haven’t repaired, so that’s a reminder, Bought a new ‘inner tube’ for the beam, but the material ‘sheath’ that it goes into totally blew out. So i need to find somewhere that can sew it up, as it’s quite a thick material.

Dental floss and blackwitch?

3 Likes

Just been doing a bit of browsing of campsites. Mrs J isn’t well enough to go at the moment and has a couple of scans coming up over the next few weeks so was just checking availability for Jul/Aug in case she feels up to it and fancies a short break.
£54 a night at Nicholaston on the Gower - it’s a lovely site but that’s ridiculous for a patch of grass.
The going rate we usually pay seems to be about £28 low season so I knew it was going to be more in school holiday time but was genuinely shocked at that. (I guess I shouldn’t have been and we only ever go for a few days at a time but a fortnight’s camping in the school holidays is going to be the best part of £800)

3 Likes

campsites are as guilty as hotels for price gouging during peak holiday periods. One one hand I can understand the pain of being a parent with maybe restrictions on when you can go on holiday but on the other side, can understand why these places do it as it helps overcome the fallow periods outside peak times.

In other news, the fridge compressor in our van has packed in. It would seem after talking to the van builder that it hadn’t been mounted correctly during the build so the whole fridge needs to be replaced. We tried a few adjustments to see if we could kick it back into action but it’s not worked so I need a trip to Landseer in Lancs (the builder) to get it fixed. As it’s under warrantly still no cost to me and they will cover mileage costs as well.

4 Likes

We stayed at Hillside at the Gower pre Covid when we rented the T6 camper. That was 2019 and it was £20 p/n pr £25 with power. I think I checked after lockdown and it had shot up to over £50.

Lord knows what it is now.

2 Likes

I just had a quick look, Hillside seems to be just glamping but there’s a Hillend which is for campers.
£33 for a standard pitch, £50 for a large pitch but if you want electric you have to book a large pitch with EHU which is £57.50.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant Hillend. It’s a lovely site. (no dogs, yay! :+1: ) but they know how to charge.

2 Likes

I think people’s mentality on the pricing needs to change. The prices in the holidays are not inflated, it’s that prices in off-peak that are discounted. If the low price was charged all year, none of these places would stay in business.

And last time I checked, we lived in a free market economy, where supply/demand are supposed to regulate the price, rather than the politburo.

3 Likes