Any Mathematicians here?

This is why I never get enough training done, theres so much other random stuff in the world to get distracted by :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Spot on, if iā€™ve understood your workingsā€¦ the answer is in realising that you can calculate the angle of a 4,4,6 triangle and hence the area of both the circle segment and the triangle without the overlapping area.

You could have made it easier by using 2 x angle to calculate area of ā€˜pizza segmentā€™ and subtracted the area of triangle and doubled, but same effect

1 Like

Easy!!!

I remember this off the top of my head as itā€™s also a proper goody :disguised_face:

Itā€™s a class size of 30 pupils for 70%.
So Iā€™d say two pupils in a class will share a birthday.

57 pupils is 99%

366 people and itā€™s a dead cert :+1:t3:

The Monty Hall Problem can do one :exploding_head::man_facepalming:t4::goat:
Why do all these maths problems involve goats?
Stick to counting sheep and life is easy (n+1)

2 Likes

What, you mean like animals? I assumed we were talking about Jan Frodeno and Mark Allen :thinking::wink:

3 Likes

I didnā€™t do Maths Aā€™ level - I did Physics instead (purely my preference). I wish I had taken Maths however as studying Biochem at Uni meant having to do physical chem and biochem and much of that was maths related where I struggled without the Aā€™level.

always remember being introduced to Schrodingerā€™s wave equation in one chemistry lecture and thinking WTF? triple integration eh?? I could barely do single integration ffs.

I secretly really enjoyed mathsā€¦ just havenā€™t really ever needing to use it since Uni beyond the basics!

3 Likes

likewise.

Struggling to get my hands back on my pure maths A level textbook. If it wasnā€™t for this damned lockdown I would have torn my parents house apart to locate it. :rofl:

1 Like

I still do!
The stuff I do is fairly simple, though the logic problems Iā€™m faced with daily keep me entertained.

Thatā€™s pretty much how I did it. But I forgot about radians being a multiple of pi, and so I wasnā€™t getting the easier simplifications youā€™ve got with your approach., where the piā€™s from the area of a segment of a circle equation are offsetting the pi in the angle component. In degrees it was all getting rather complicated and I wasnā€™t convinced the complex expressions I was left with were accurate.

Reinforces the point made before about ā€œuse it or lose itā€. I remembered radians being ā€œbetterā€ for some reason, but couldnā€™t recall exactly why!

1 Like

Anyone know how to convert a quaternion to an angle in one of the planes which I can use to get an angle of the steering of the handlebars from a phone mounted on it. Iā€™m sure it should be possibleā€¦

IIRC, its quite a simple bit of maths to do thisā€¦ I think theyā€™re called Euler angles?

1 Like

Christ on a bike i feel thick on here sometimes!

Aha, thanks,
https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/quaternionToEuler/
Looks like I simply want ā€œheadingā€ from there.

As always in the internet age, simply knowing what something is called is all you really need.

I did initially but realise itā€™s all entirely irrelevant to me and what I do

3 Likes

Knowledge and intelligence ainā€™t always the same thing!

1 Like

The baking thread may as well be in Swahili, far as Iā€™m concerned. Same with football, NFL and wine :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Are you making a steering plate for Zwift?

Same :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Nahā€¦ heā€™s dropped his phone down the bogā€¦ :joy: