Best/Worst Roll of Honour

that’s not very nice!
She will finish. Being a breakfast news presenter is pretty hard going. That nice guy who lived in Edale
And got cancer spoke about what a day involved, not for me :raised_hand:t5:

Best race
Chum castle Gothic sprint … 2010
The only time I’ll ever see the top step in my life …

Worst race
Colwyn bay Olympic 92/93 The swell was huge and it was survival.

Bike to Snowden … ish then cramp all through the run… rough day

Best Swim Bolton 2019
Worst swim see above

Best bike Sundowner
Worst bike Bolton by some margin

Best run Deva 2019
Worst run Deva 2017 ( DNF )

Best finish line Bolton by a huge margin

2 Likes

I get the picture people who do the UK Ironman events love the finish line???

2 Likes

I think the consensus seems to be that in the UK and Germany people seem to care and make the day special for those taking part.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s because they’ve finally finished the shit course

4 Likes

No shit! :rofl:

Good luck.

Your tired, smashed , and you should be…
It’s the end of a long journey, but that finish line atmosphere was amazing…

Hairs are up on the back of my neck thinking about it…

Maybe first branded, first full, is elevating emotions but I’ll never forget it!

3 Likes

If Ironman do one thing right, it’s the finish area. They’ve all been great in my experience

Hearing Paul Kaye (or whoever) calling your name and telling you you’re an Ironman never gets old!

1 Like

Yes genuinely, not out of relief. Support everywhere at Bolton was phenomenal bike and run. I’d say over 9k of the 10k run loop was densely lined with spectators, there was only one short patch through the park without.City centre finish only added to that.

3 Likes

Using this thread as inspiration to decide what I want to do next year. Was looking for a couple of good UK half’s. Castle Howard and Midnight Man were both on the list but have taken a bashing tonight, especially considering price of Castle Series events…

We should probably all sign-up for Bolton.

1 Like

Yeah, that one was special. Did it in 13 as prep for first IM at Outlaw and hit 80kph as well. Didn’t dare moving my hands to the brakes so just sucked it up, stuck on the tri bars and hoped for the best. Equal measures scary and exhilarating.

Worst swim is a toss up between Outlaw goose-poo lake, Slateman which was ridiculously cold and cut very short as a result, or Castle Howard shallow weed infested “crawl” (not front crawl, real crawl through weeds).

Worst bike I have done was the last ill-famed Rubicon. Not only is it up and down an A road for the majority, but that day there was zero marshalling, bad signs, people drafting all over and even cutting it short by simply not doing the whole route. Worst run ever was, unsurprisingly, same race. That whole day was simply proper sh!t.

3 Likes

One year I did it, my 82mm front wheel got taken by the wind on a farm gate and I made lift off :poop::jeans:.
Managed 3rd in my AG at the National Middle Distance Championships that weekend and got a very nice medal :+1:t3:
My last HIM run sockless. Couldn’t run for a week after due to blisters, for 10s in transition :rofl:

Coming back to Triathlon this year, that was the first race I tried to enter, only to find it was no more :cry:

Someone showering at Outlaw this weekend was also using their grey Bala towel from 2009 :+1:t3:

Best Swim: Zurich 2018, however I really enjoyed Weymouth 2018 for the crazy conditiond
Best Bike: St Polten, so much variety, great roads, the chance to ride on Autobahn
Best Run: Hamburg

Worst Swim: Hamburg, due to being hit, and poor buoy location, however it wasn’t that bad
Worst Bike: Hamburg, poor support, poor road surface, tedious, IM Zurich, disappointing as Switzerland has so much to offer and the bike course is just dull
Worst run: 70.3 Rapperswil, poor support, featureless

1 Like

Hey you’re cribbing off my sheet! :slightly_smiling_face:

Aside from your getting hit in the face, what did you think of the Hamburg swim? I though it was pretty decent; although they could have done with some more buoys!

I think you should state if you have done Wales before you claim swim/bike/run whatever is the best :grinning::laughing::wink::upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone put Wales down as best bike? Not even you!

1 Like

MnM is 80 dead turns now with 40 very sharp narrow turns…but no speed bumps anymore :wink:

1 Like

Midnightman is far from taking a bashing. It is a fantastic event. It’s just no frills and the course isnt in the New Forest but you’ll have a laugh. Depends what you want. i love the small feel and friendliness and john goes the extra mile for everyone!

4 Likes

How much is it to enter? Something like this is a glorified training event I suppose, so that has to be taken into consideration.