Bike Maintenance for Beginners

The bolt head itself seems to have holes in the side? Can you not just poke a thin screwdriver, or something like that, in there and rotate from the side?

It is a weird setup for a saddle clamp though.

1 Like

I use screw driver or a 3 mm hex key to turn it

Bike back from LBS after full strip down service. Couldn’t see anything visually that was causing the crank arm to loosen, threads and conditions of the bottom bracket were fine. It’s been torqued up properly, so probably will turn out to have been me just not having it tight enough. But he reckons he’s got various options that would fit instead of the FSA as a replacement if it does come loose again. He said it’s possible there’s an issue he couldn’t see (something about tolerances I didn’t understand) so to take it out a couple of shorter rides and see if it’s holding in place or not.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated.

1 Like

How weird is this? Went to ride MTB home for lunch and my chain making a bad noise, it appears to have twisted 180 degrees. Never seen this before. Luckily have an infinite supply of latex gloves.

B

4 Likes

That’s really bizarre, makes me wonder if someone has twisted like that as a bit of a practical joke. I’m not even sure it should be possible, is the chain quite old and the joints pretty loose?

1 Like

It’s an old chain. Last night when I leant against a wall it fell over heavily, I wonder if it somehow bounced and twisted??? I rode to work this morning half asleep and the indexing was all weird and wrong but I didn’t think much of it, just made a plan to have a look later. So I guess I probably rode to work with the chain twisted like that too. Good news is it flipped back and now the indexing is fine easily although it seriously needs a clean. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had the same thing a few months back :person_shrugging:

1 Like

How steep is your commute to work to require that gear selection :laughing: ?

1 Like

Haha it is 4% but we are talking red eye

I think it’s only in that gear because of the bad noise it was making on the middle chain ring & would not shift onto big chainring at all - honest! :grinning:

Trp integrated brakes. Taken me flipping ages to get one caliper off and fix it. The spring adjuster had broken and getting it back on was very very difficult and frustrating.

Got it back on and still can’t get the brake setup properly. I now think it’s the front wheel which isn’t true. Not a job for me.

Rear brake calliper on the commuter is partially seized. Thought I’d give this a shot…

Not sure how I’m going to clean it off mind

1 Like

Is it honey?

Engine oil!

It’s loosened it up a treat too!

3 Likes

Arh, gears are slipping.

Tried the ‘beginner’ tips. Made it worse.

To the local bike shop you go.

3 Likes

Right.

My ‘new’ wheel arrived today. But I’m seriously struggling to get the tyre and tube mounted. See pic for sizing details below.

Do I need skinnier tyres and or tubes to make this work? Or am I just lacking the skills? There is very little room between the valve and the edge of the rim. So I’m guessing maybe I need a smaller tube?

Cheers

Put a touch of air in the tube, just enough to hold its shape but not stretch it all and make sure the valve is up inside the tire so it’s not getting in the way of the beads. That looks pretty normal to me but if the valve is under the tyre beads you won’t get them to go round it.

1 Like

That’ll be fine for Cotswolds just like that :grimacing:

3 Likes

Cheers buddy.

I’ve looked online at a bunch of different charts and stuff and they all suggest that the 3 components are within normal parameters for each other. But it just didn’t want to play ball, and I always default to me having done something wrong. Which, is normally the case tbf!

I’ll give it another go tonight.

1 Like

They key is the air in the tube, the absolute minimum to give it a bit of shape, a bit too much and you won’t get the tyre on. Seat the valve part of the tube up inside the tyre then put that bit on first and work your way round to the opposite side.
I had to swap one of my Gators over the other day and, even thought it’s old it fought me all the way. I’v got a pair of these plier things which help get the last part on but they wouldn’t be any use for your issue with the valve.
BBB Cycling Bike Bicycles BTL-78 Easy Tire Tool, black, 2.977.457.801 : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

1 Like

The wheels I got where both supposed to be 23mm exterior (16.8mm interior) but pretty sure that the rear is 25mm exterior. I got the 19-23mm tubes and 700x23 tyres. Not sure if that helps any.

1 Like