Blood Pressure and other health

They thought so before. But we thought id got on top of it before covid.

Doctors were disagreeing with each other about the prescription though.

EDIT

I think I’m going to start my “during The Lockdown” posts again. We were healthier. Trained more. Less stress. Nutrition was balanced. We only used the toilet paper we needed. Etc.

6 Likes

I sometimes think about how things have pretty much gone back to the previous cycle of high intensity life, busy commutes, longer hours, fitting in training.

Maybe one for the existential thread though.

And it all started pretty much 4 years ago?

3 Likes

I have recently been through that myself joex.

A liver consultant, a cancer consultant and a GP. My GP won the day. Who is correct? I don’t really mind as in the overall scheme of my health it matters little to me.

I think you mentioned yours was blood pressure joex. Mine went from 190/110 to iirc 100/70? All I did was mentally check out of the multitude of stresses that had affected me for decades. If you can find a way of doing similar it might help.

1 Like

Exercises to avoid
Some other forms of activity are less helpful. For example, any exercise that is very intensive for short periods of time, such as sprinting or weightlifting. They raise your blood pressure very quickly and put too much strain on your heart and blood vessels.

https://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/how-to-lower-your-blood-pressure/healthy-living/exercise-physical-activity/

1 Like

Interesting as that goes against a lot of the recent research. Of course if your blood pressure is in the very high range then weight lifting isnt ideal but recent studies have said the best exercises for lower BP in order are cardio < weight lifting < isometric exercises. Isometric include planks and wall squats.

A study showed that those doing the isometric exercises had a great reduction in BP that the other groups, weight lifting was better than cardio.

You can also minimise spikes in BP when weight lifting by keeping it light and breathing properly.

2 Likes

Yeah, linked it because I wasn’t sure I agreed.

I think it’s not momentary pressure that is damaging the health but long term pressure on the various tubes we have inside us.

1 Like

It’s the paradox that the your risk of heart attack is greatest during exercise. But exercise lowers your future risk.

Blood pressure can get to 400-500mm Hg in a maximal contraction

4 Likes

Part of why I eat lots of fibre :rofl:

3 Likes

What is cardio though? It seems to describe such a broad intensity range. I hate the term, it’s worse than ‘core’.

1 Like

Yeah it is a shit term and the review didnt really classify it beyond walking, running, cycling. It didnt suggest intensity beyond that it wasnt high intensity as that was in a different group.

Thebstufy is here, its actually a meta review ofnloads of studies.

3 Likes

Iirc the general medical advice I got when they were concerned in 2019 was keeping HR below 200 - not a problem here, and probably pointless advice. The nurse wasn’t concerned with how I described my training when they were doing an ECG.

At the moment the guidance for me is not to change anything lifestyle and see what effect the pills have…I’m not particularly keen on the barbell and run intervals though. Should keep it up for now, just worrying I guess. Squatting 80kg isn’t that big a deal not are treadmill workouts really.

My BP is really sensitive to diet, and especially alcohol. If I watch my diet, and eat mainly whole foot plant based, and am careful not to drink much, my BP is around 120/80, as soon as I start eating processed food and drinking a few beers, it goes up to 145/90

Recently I started taking my BP medication again as I have been eating crap and drinking too much. It actually scares me a bit, so I am actively taking measures to reduce it again

5 Likes

When I started taking BP medication around 2005 the dr told me that I would need to take it for the rest of my life, since 2019 I have really not needed to take it, however, I do monitor my BP regularly. I can certainly feel when my BP is high, and I also notice that me sleep is worse when my BP is higher

3 Likes

For one medicine then generally the best outcome is a reduction in BP by about 10mmHg. Hence why so many people end up on multiple medicines to get from 180–>130.

Especially as the benefit:side effect ratio decreases as you increase dose. Amlodpine at 5mg is about 80-90% as effective as amlodpine at 10mg, but doubling the dose doubles the side effects.
So 2 (or 3 or 4) medications at lower dose are a lot more effective than 1 medication at max dose. But that’s not as easily tolerated by people to have multiple medications.

So pharmaceutical companies seem to be increasing the combinations so multiple medicines are all included in one tablet for a person to take.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand that post

Admittedly 5 pints in

Edited for clarity. Or just reread tomorrow :+1:

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha

I had that exact same issue with Amlodipine. I was on 5mg of that and 5mg of Ramipril for several years but after having a persistent cough all that time (which my doctor said was a side effect of the Ramipril), it was decided to stop mixing and put me on 10mg of Amlodipine instead.

The side effects happened almost straight away. Major ankle and feet swelling meant I couldn’t run more than about 2K without having to stop and take my trainers off for a bit to give my feet a rest.

I’m now on 10mg of lercanidipine and the ankle and foot swelling disappeared as quickly as it started.

2 Likes

Wow BP below 140 for the first time in ages. The drugs appear to work(!). Hard to believe I clocked 200 on Thursday night at the GP.

133/88 - I’m sold.

Am I disqualified from racing? Think I asked this years ago but forgot the answer.

3 Likes

I got mine from ~170 to ~120 on 5mg Ramipril and some lifestyle changes (lot less booze and weight loss).

Still on it as my weight loss plateaued but hope when I am down to normal weight I can come off them.

Was interesting when I was first diagnosed the first doctor paid no attention to lifestyle factors and had me do all these tests, blood tests, kidney ultrasound to find the cause. The GP took some history and was basically well youre fat and you drink too much so its probably that, amd she was right.

Mine is now a normal 118/78

5 Likes