Bread makers

I know what you mean there, but knowing what life is like it simply won’t happen in my house. Especially in the winter, we’re both so unmotivated/tired some the evening that the thought of doing that just does not appeal - as much as i really like the idea of it!

Whereas dumping a few ingredients in a machine just before bed, setting the delay timer and waking up to it the next is very appealing!

4 Likes

So for the nerdy out there the cost of baking a loaf is roughly

Flour - 1.5kg from Tesco = £1.35 - will make 3 loaves so 45p/loaf
Yeast - 100g from Tesco = £1.55 - will make 14 loaves so 11p/loaf
Sugar - 1kg from Tesco = £1.09 - will make 100 loaves so 1p/loaf
Salt - 1.5kg from Tesco = £1.90 - will make 300 loaves so 1p/loaf
Water - now I really can’t be bothered looking this up but I’m going to say < 1p/loaf for 340ml

Power -tricky as my breadmaker only quotes max power usage at 550W but I can find 0.4kWh quoted and a standard loaf takes 4 hours. Day rate 50p/kWh=80p/loaf. Night rate 9p/kWh = 15p

Which gives between 74p and 139p.

Aldi loaf of bread looks like 75p so it can be very close in terms of price to bake

8 Likes

That Cooplands (in Whitby) has been there since at least 1995 (cos I used to buy 10 cheese straws for my lunch back then :joy::face_with_peeking_eye:)

@hillwall - what’s all of this sugar, yeast and salt nonsense? You get flour, add water, make a starter, add flour and water. Done :white_check_mark:
Also, in your commercial recipe you can substitute the sugar out for a small amount of amylase :+1:t3:

@gingerbongo - doing some dough takes ten minutes.
Then 18 hours in the fridge to slowly prove.
Then whack it out, shape it into the banneton, then 4-8 hours at room temp.
Go to bed.
Wake up.
Whack it in the oven for an hour.
Go on Zwift. Get dressed.
Remove from oven for an hour to cool.
Ready to eat now :white_check_mark:
Just a small 28 hour process :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Smell of freshly baked bread when you get back from a baltic bike ride - priceless

4 Likes

It’s actually £46 :person_shrugging:t3:

:roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Although it smells more like baked dark chocolate cookies, IMO

(But being serious, cycling past Gail’s on the way home is always a very mild challenge to not stop … we are getting a Trove soon, too)

3 Likes

The question is whether you want to buy a basic loaf from Aldi?

My sums (pre inflation crisis) were for a home baked loaf to be about half the price of a semi decent supermarket loaf for white bread.
Much less difference with granary as the flour is much more expensive.

I’d have to dig out the sums to compare price changes for ingredients.

The big issue is that home baked loaves get stale after about 1-2 days so you need to eat them quite fast.

2 Likes

same with some “artisan” breads. We buy a large wholemeal sourdough from the baker at the watermill - the one I bought on Saturday I left behind by error after a day’s milling, but as the site is closed on Sunday/Monday I had no way of getting it until this morning (I don’t have key access). Despite no heat on, and in the dark, it had dried out quite a lot but thankfully still good for toast. Another day and it would have gone too stale.

2 Likes

Different Cooplands apparently.

2 Likes

Woah!!!
Nice work :clap:t3:

Seem really close together to be called the same :person_shrugging:t3::roll_eyes:

1 Like

As if you would be getting your ingredients from Tesco. It would be Rapha X Waitrose flour, etc.

Also, set the oven on timer and skip a step.

2 Likes

No doubt there will have been some family tie in at some point way back when, some brotherly fall out or somat …

2 Likes

We made our own butter yesterday… I hope you’re doing that too, if you’re going to be making the bread.

3 Likes

Do you have your own cows :man_shrugging:

@gingerbongo will have a non-compete clause in his contract which means he can’t make his own butter…

8 Likes

Nah. You just get some cream and whisk it.
Properly easy :white_check_mark:

I’m sure our milky friend can get some of Arla’s finest cream :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

who said it was cow butter?

But no, the cream came from Asdas, tbh, I think making ice cream from the cheap cream is better, less effort.

sorry to disagree
you missing
labour cost ?( clearly to much time on your hands ) :rofl:
equipment costs ?

i have trouble making a cup of tea SO fair play to you if it rocks your boat

2 Likes

Did you make butter from a cream substitute :exploding_head:

If so, is it the same method?

1 Like

No of course I didn’t, I don’t eat cream substitutes!

1 Like

tickles me we spent last 150 years inventing things to make our lives easier now its fashionable to stand at your kitchen sink for 2 hours making a loaf of bread :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ,then go and chop wood in your back garden and stink your wood burner and fill your house with smoke , instead i prefer just to ask alexa to switch the heating on & use my click & collect on my smart phone to order my food to be delivered to my door :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

You’re doing it wrong. Stand by you kitchen worktop for about 10 mins. :wink::kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes