Broadband

Reliability seems to be our biggest issue; often get connectivity dropouts; it seems particularly bad with my phone. We’re Vodafone. But we were BT Infinity before that, and it was no better; I think it’s the local ageing infrstructure (overheard cables from the main road).

2 Likes

have a look at this

1 Like

Is 100mb even broadband?

2 Likes

It is when you don’t have FTTP :roll_eyes:

Feeling inadequate with my <10mb :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Outside cities, anything over 2mbps is probably still classed as Broadband.

1 Like

We’re happy with Plusnet, currently getting 145MB for £27 not sure how that compares to others but have been with them for a few years now & all has been good.

Just checked our using my AVG app on the phone: 28.69 & 15.0 and it says it’s fast! Tbh I’ve seem over 40mb often, this seems low even for here.

Broadband Speed Checker has just said 53.85 & 10.02 :man_shrugging:
USwitch says 43.6 & 6.2.

Are they always this variable?

Just sayin’. :grin:

DOWNLOAD Mbps - 301.75

UPLOAD Mbps - 68.75

1 Like

Left the wife haggling - Virgin currently offering a gig, plus a new router (what I really wanted), plus some other stuff for less than what they wanted to charge.
Sky is probably £10 cheaper - tho need the faff of swapping over.

1 Like

~850 symmetric…

Yes, firstly use Netflix’s fast.com - as otherwise the provider can prioritise the “speed checker bandwidth” and make it look much better than they are, they can’t do that with netflix’s content as so much of their genuine content will be it, others will be more unreliable.

Also it depends on your contention, cheaper broadband, and some of the rural broadband where you wont have a choice, will merge your connection with your neighbours, so it’ll depend on what your neighbours are doing.

And you’ll still have in your house delays too. Sat on my sofa, where I am wired internet, I just got 970 / 870, unplug the laptop and it’s 1/3rd of that and changes more if I move.

1 Like

that was on wifi.

with a wired connection on my PC and using fast.com:

Download: 440MB
Upload: 120MB

Using Ookla (speedtest.net) I’m seeing

Download: 516Mb
Upload: 72Mb

I’m paying BT for a 500Mb fibre connection

1 Like

18 bitch*s!

:joy:

3 Likes

You’re best off cancelling, handing in the 30 days notice. You’ll then get hassled every day by the cancellations team who are able to offer better deals than the retentions team.

EDIT - No idea why that ended up quoting Jim

2 Likes

Or, check your contract. :joy:
Mine says annual increase of no more than JanCPI + 3.9%.
But it’s gone up by 7.901432%, which is more that 7.9% :joy::joy::joy:

Breach of contract there :joy::joy:

1 Like

We are FttP with Virgin. Have to do the contract dance every 18mths.
We pay £28 for 135mps. It’s all we need and no point in dick swinging about speed we never need

2 Likes

My current FTTP contract (with Sky) ends in a couple of months and I fully expect to move elsewhere if they cannot offer a good deal. I’m on a webchat with them right now to most probably cancel my TV subscription as that’s going up and I cannot justify the amount I pay.

My contract with BT ends in May and I will have a look around, but I want to keep my TNT Sports sub which is via BT (formerly BT Sport) as that’s the key rugby channel for me. None of the big suppliers like Sky, Voda, Virgin etc appeal so I might go niche with someone like Zen.

1 Like

That only took an hour and 40 minutes to cancel. They offered me a “deal” which is the same as I’m paying right now. For me it’s just not worth it. Sorry to hijack the thread with TV talk. I’ll be back on here in about six weeks time to talk broadband when my current deal (with Sky) ends…

2 Likes