Broadband

I pay £18 to Vodafone for 68MBPs.
And that’s what I get from the site above …

Well, sometimes I get 73Mbps :joy:

2 Likes

Interesting. Didn’t know of that site. I’m up in the loft currently which is on a sky q minibox that is a two step relay from the main box downstairs (if one of the middle floor boxes goes down this one goes down) and I’m getting about 50mbps. Yet the speedtest app only gave me 7! Weird.

Separately, I’m planning on trying to eliminate the standard sky q router. It’s crap. I want to move to a standalone mesh system (as the q mesh system is very old tech now apparently) but becuaee of the way sky deliver their bb you apparently need a mesh router system with dhcp option 61 in order to be able to plug into thr fttp open reach box and get the sky service to work. Asus xt8’s are the route I plan to go but they’re not cheap. A lot cheaper than Netgear Orbi’s though :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

It is possible that your provider is shaping netflix to be better - 'cos people care more about netflix and moan! In fact, that’s actually possible, Sky will have netflix inside its network, but they’ll be cheaping out going outside the network where they have to pay more perhaps.

1 Like

I’m with EE and it’s been a fast stable package. £30 pcm for ultrafast. But I’m in the rurals so I rarely see more than 100mbs download so I’m probably overpaying. Just another ISP to throw into the mix…

Edit: broadband just shit the bed as I posted that.

We also pay for Netflix through our sky sub (as it was significantly cheaper) so that might be another reason they prioritise their traffic

https://speed.cloudflare.com/ Is an alternative with lots of detail and breakdown of what speeds it gets for different sized downloads.

1 Like

Right new router on…not quite the gig internet (yet), 300-500 at the minute.
Deco mesh network also in… See if that’s as seamless as it suggests.

4 Likes

new broadband deal sorted

current contract with BT is 500Mb fibre plus Sports (TNT) which I pay £76.68pm for. Just rang BT to see what they can do and got same package for £50.99pm saving nearly £26pm.

I could get the broadband cheaper elsewhere but the TNT package would cost nearly 2x as much (BT is £16pm, TNT through others is £30.99pm) so on balance I’m sticking with BT - or EE as they now brand this part of their biz.

no need to change any hardware either

5 Likes

Do you need TV deals these days or can we do it all over at brondband connection?

Virgin charged me £84 last month for their minimum package FFS, minimum bb/tv package price they will offer is £45

Uswitch says I can get a gig broadband with community fibre for £26/month

1 Like

I’ve not had a TV deal since 2012. Pick the broadband and the streaming services you want based on what you watch. Save a load of money.

Unless you watch sport and then it may change the calculation.

3 Likes

Yep, would agree with this. I’d never ditch sky because of this, and also wouldn’t contemplate sky stream over sky q due to the lack of dvr.

Edit to add - I have now managed to find a mesh system that works with sky bb and sky q miniboxes currently that effectively means I’m no longer tied into sky bb if I want. We’re up for renewal imminently so will see if I can use that to switch away from them / get a better deal

Cool.

Ads seem to be on all the streaming services unless you pay more so I’m heading back to the bbc!

Will play around with free view and my Apple TVs to see what I can get free of charge and ads.

Kids will hate me but as long as the wife gets continual Judge Judy I will survive…

1 Like

My sister and I have dragged Mum’s house into this century. Truespeed fibre installed and it’s goodbye to TalkTalk. :crossed_fingers:t2:

As my target new provider, I’m not filled with confidence…

2 Likes

Said it was all working.

Then I phone up to cancel.

Get told it’s not until May 25th then…

Coincidence? I think jot

1 Like

Apart from one really disappointing interaction with them for an outage , I’ve never really had any problems with Virgin. We’ve used them since we moved here.

I do have to do I’m leaving’ dance every 18mths but hey ho

£81/month for their minimum package requires more KY jelly than my wetsuit can afford.

Theyre a typical company in that as long as you don’t ever do anything and nothing goes wrong you’re experience is fine. It’s when things go wrong and they dance about like asshats you realise that you haven’t been paying for piece of mind at all.

Next provider will be worse I’m sure.

£81? for fuck’s sake - crazy

If only they knew the corporate relationship I hold with them, sigh… #ethics #etc

You think they’d care more if they did? I’m disappointed in your naivety :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like