Brownlee to race Ironman Ireland

With ST, you have to be selective about what threads you read, otherwise you will just get dumbed-down. There are some real nuggets in there though, which is more than can ever be said about IMJ.

Anyone here still persevering with IMJ?

1 Like

Lionel Sanders is the best triathlete the world has, and will ever see. He’s not that good a swimmer (relatively speaking), looks funny on a bike and even more so running. He wins away from the big races. What more proof do you need?

1 Like

I mean he did podium at Kona…

…and broke Crowie’s course record. But LIONel is an all-or-nothing kind of guy. He should probably be in a comic somewhere as a protagonist.

Persevering? Perhaps not. Goading? Maybe…

Jennings still on it?

no hes vanished, stated a new group “#teamriptide” and they are an online club or something

1 Like

Oh Lordy. Another one who needs the attention of a flock.

1 Like

So will IM Cork be televised now it’s got Alistair? I loved his performance at 70.3 St George.

Was taking the mickey, I know he’s very good but on ST they really worship him way above what his results warrant IMO.

I haven’t really followed Brownlee’s training during this year, but the facts that he is undecided about Tokio, that he wants to do Kona, his performance in the European Championship, and now that he is going to race in Ironman Ireland, makes me think that his training is a bit chaotic. It’s extremely difficult to perform well in all those scenarios.

His training is still very much geared towards ITU but you have to remember that apart from a bit more speed work, they are doing big hours and lots of long easy work anyway so it wont take much to focus on Kona. Getting a podium at the test event is key to his decision. Pre qualify for Tokyo and Kona will wait a year or two. Fail to podium and this race will hopefully bank him a spot in October. I do have reservations about his strength endurance for the long stuff though.

There’s the possibility his no-compromise mindset will break him first.

1 Like

If he shows up healthy (the big question) he’s going to decimate any field, end of. Outside of Kona, where I think the heat and humidity will be his undoing. But on a course like Cork, in that kind of usual weather, he’ll be right at home - rainy, crappy roads, it’ll be just like Yorkshire.

Hello again everyone by the way, nice new site :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just listening to you and Will Clarke :smiley:

Remind you of anyone else?

At 31, he’s still got loads of time for the longer stuff; this isn’t the 80s anymore. If I were his coach, I’d be aiming for Tokyo as Plan A, and if that’s a bust, move to target 70.3 world domination for a couple of years, before moving to IM.

I think most people really underestimate the amount of training the Brownlee’s have done over the years, and they do it because they love to train

I don’t think that ‘moving up’ to IM training will be anything other than the same training they’ve done since they were in their teens - weekly hundred mile rides and the kind of long, multi hour fell runs that would kill most of us to do once. I don’t think the question is ‘how will he deal with the IM volume’ so much as, how the hell has he not just entered one for fun before now? :slight_smile:

Hi Rob, good to see you back.

I remember hearing Joel Filiol say once that coaching the Brownlees was all about trying to persuade them to hold back in training.

Brownlees have always done monster training volumes. There is a school of thought that says not having the real fast stuff needed for a 29 minute 10k in there as well may actually help with the injuries/longevity.

That brings Jorgan’s Tokyo then 70.3 then IM into play as a sensible option.

But I think he loves racing and challenging himself too much. I see him being bored on the 70.3
circuit with only one really competitive race per year, ditto IM where only 2/3 Championship races are truly competitive and even then some are racing just to stamp a ticket to the only truly competitive race of the year.

Well, I do think that preparing properly for IM is quite different than for ITU. But if the main goal is Tokyo and his training is primarily ITU, then fair enough. But in those circumstances Kona will have to wait I think.

1 Like