Browser Malware Removal

Well it’s gone now! At this rate I’m going to need to take it in somewhere; I guess I could get in touch with Lenovo support first.

Looks like NvOptimiser was link to a VLC player; this icon popped-up on the desktop a while back. Again something my 9yo has installed along with his crappy games. I have changed the Laptop PIN.

I know this is shutting the stable door, but I set up 3 family users, mine is the only administrator so generally im to blame if anything goes wrong.

2 Likes

So it looks like uninstalling Chrome & renaming the old user data folder to Google.OLD worked. The new Chrome installation immediately picked it up as an ‘error’ and allowed me to uninstall that malicious Extension. Can I just delete this ‘OLD’ folder now?

The question is, can I just do the same with Edge? I never use Edge, and it’s not easy to uninstall is it? It’s Windows 11 Pro.

1 Like

you can help to avoid similar by changing the DNS server settings on the computer, to a service which avoids crap Set up 1.1.1.1 on Windows · Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs

1 Like