Browser Malware Removal

Argh my fcuking Son. I have a malware extension in Chrome & Edge (ParaceratheriumBugtiense) on my personal laptop.

I have followed online guidance and it keeps reappearing in the Edge/Chrome extension folders in the C Drive. I’ve uninstalled Chrome, but not sure that’ll help. A repair of Edge didn’t help, it’s still there in the Extensions menu & it sits there untouchable :rage::imp:

Any pointers?

Here’s the fooker in Edge:

2 Likes

All your docs backed up to cloud? Often the easiest way is to wipe and restore.

Alternatively have you tried something like Malwarebytes? That might be able to permanently remove it.

Wipe my hard drive?!

2 Likes

This works well usually, or failing that wipe and install Linux :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah restore windows. If you have all your docs synced to cloud its pretty quick and easy.

Thst maybe overkill for a crappy browser extension mind

2 Likes

Then grow a beard, become a vegan…

4 Likes

Or use a Mac, which is for people with trendy beards instead :wink:

Im actually interested in getting a decent MacBook . Not sure i can sell my soul just yet but know a few devs who bit the bullet and would never go back to Windows computers

4 Likes

I cant stand Apple products, except Apple Music. Would never buy their hardware now.

1 Like

I flit between Spotify and Amazon based on who has a cheap 3 month deal then i switch. Spotify is better though. Never used Apple Music

Never bought apple except an old ipod nano and my son an ipad but every time i look at macbooks im impressed. Ill end up with another Dell no doubt :rofl:

1 Like

I downloaded the free Malwarebytes, that didn’t touch it. Do I need to buy the premium one.

I wouldnt bother paying.

1 Like

What about NVOptimizer in installed programs; can’t find out what it means with an Internet search:

Not heard of it. I cant find anything on a search either. NV, could be Nvidia, do you have one of their cards? Although if it was that the publisher would have a value on the right.

Do you have Windows Defender running, or another AV?

1 Like

I have Zone Alarm Extreme Security; did a full PC scan and it found nothing :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Have you tried

Option 1 - Uninstall Chrome then Go to Chrome Default profile folder then rename it to Google.Old, once chrome is installed it will create a new one.
The location for Chrome’s default profile folder differs depending on your platform. The locations are:
Windows 7, 8.1, and 10: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
rename this to - C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Google.OLD

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/62137559/weird-extension-keeps-coming-back-no-matter-what-i-do?hl=en

1 Like

Thanks, will try tomorrow. I just paid 22 quid for combo cleaner because it detected the adware in both browsers, clicked delete/quarantine and the malicious extension IS STILL F***ING THERE! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

new bike day? :smiley:

1 Like

My graphics card is AMD Radeon; so I think I’m going to uninstall whatever NvOptimzer is. As you say, there’s very little clue as to what it is, or who the software owner is.

NVOptimizer shouldn’t be anything to worry about. It’s an ASUS/NVidia program.