Brutal Events

So after my training 112mile ride/ 26.2 mile run 2 days ago, my recovery has felt ok apart from one major issue.

I just grabbed any pair of cycle shorts from my drawer and the cheapo Decathlon ones were not up to the task of 5+ hours on the bike.

So I have quite a bit of raw chafing/blistering on my buttocks where the pad seam meets the lycra. This would be survivable in a one day event but I’d be in big trouble if this were the deca.

So - recommendations for cycle shorts that are good for long rides day in day out. Hopefully not too expensive as I’ll need several pairs

4 Likes

Check the wiggle ebay site, the endura FS260 shorts come up quite often. Picked up the last few pairs for £20/30

Don’t have to spend lots to guarantee comfort, although I’m sure it probably helps.
But I only ride in neopro which are ~£20-30. Aus based so not much help for you, but my point is more that some cheap stuff is ok for some people.

On the other hand I picked up a couple of pairs of PlanetX pro-something bibs on the cheap & they’re only comfortable up to 30mins :peach::confounded:.

Good info as I was looking at these so will look elsewhere

Although as @Chriswim said, cheaper ones may be ok for some people :person_shrugging:.

I got a pair of PX and don’t mind them, fairly sure I’ve gone over an hour in them.

But, bibshorts are like saddles and very different for different people

1 Like

The caveat is that I also semi-regularly ride in shorts and t-shirt for up to 2 hours of just on a cafe ride or extended commute

Have just received an email from Claire at Brutal Events to say DecaUK is cancelled. Just not enough entries and so it is just not affordable to host it. And that after the Brutal Triathlons in September that Brutal Events will come to an end.

Am absolutely gutted. My training had been going pretty well with several 100+ mile rides and 26+ mile runs since Christmas.

Feel pretty rudderless right now. I’m sure later today I’ll have some other plan (my wife has already asked me when I was thinking about doing Arch 2 Arc again) but right now I didn’t quite feel like getting on Zwift at lunch.

Boo

20 Likes

Shame for yourself and Claire, I did the half a few years ago and loved it (except for the Baltic swim :cold_face:) but have never been able to fit in a return.

My fell running was reasonable at the time and I moved up to fourth overall, if I hadn’t fannied about getting warm in T1 I’d have probably finished second.

5 Likes

Bugger, I’d been enjoying your madcap training.

I’m friends with Dave Clamp on Strava, What’s the Deca he does on the North East region of France? Is that a possibility for you?

Edit:- it’s a mere 5*

https://bretzelultratri.com/

5 Likes

I guess the appetite for mad events has died off along with a lot of smaller race organisers events, everyone wants IM these days. When you think the hundreds of pages the Enduroman threads used to get and the number of “nutters” that went along, even just to do a half or full and spectate or crew for a few days. It must be hard getting a crew together as well anymore with the lower numbers in tri in general. In ultra most of those original nutters have moved on, and you are left with @Toyota_Crown :wink:

5 Likes

That is sad news, Brutal has been around for years. I fear some ultras will suffer the same fate before too long.

He seems like a total legend! Truckie, right?

1 Like

Its obvs just a very subtle plot to bring back EnduroMan Tri at Avon Tyrrell

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that @hillwall, you’ve certainly been putting the work in so far.

1 Like

Incredible the events he does :exploding_head:.

I met him when he came across & ran/cycled a few times with Sean & then again when one of us did a 24hr cycle he was there to help…lovely fella.

Not sure what you mean with your “Truckie” reference :thinking:?

1 Like

I thought he was a long distance truck driver but thinking about, I’m sure I’m mixed up with someone else.

He may well have been, I think he does personal training now.

1 Like

oh that Sean fella. On topic, I met him before the start of the Brutal Double Extreme IM at Snowdon last yr. Get This: It was his very first Triathlon as an actual Event!!! :astonished: :sweat_smile:
btw :roll_eyes: I’m very pleased to say this Old Man was still capable of winning the Event again tho. :trophy: :1st_place_medal:

7 Likes

Shame about the Brutal Glasto events… i was hoping to enter the single Iron.

1 Like