Challenge Daytona

I saw a post that says Lucy Charles has COVID? Tested positive with no symptoms.

Hadn’t seen that, but i noted she wasn’ on the start list.

Just watched the Holly Lawrence ‘Unbreakable’ episode. She’s developed one of those half English/American accents. :see_no_evil:

So i ended up down the rabbit hole, watching them!

Lisa Norden - comes across as a really warm, genuine lady. But you can see that fierce grit still there.

JB - i don’t know if it’s the marketeers steering his interviews/videos for the exposure and the likes, but if it isn’t, then he’s still too hung up on his brother. He needs to let that go, and focus on being the best athlete he can be. But as i said, maybe it’s a ll a bit engineered, as they’re always marketed as a pair. Same sponsorship deals etc.

Annoyingly the donation levels are £0, £20, £40, £100, £1000.

Have to pick one, I wouldn’t mind dropping £10 but the lowest payment level is Sky PPV level.

Hmmmmm

I don’t like interviews where you don’t get to hear the questions as it becomes easy to project the answers how the editor/broadcaster wants. In this case not malicious or to make a headline but continue the Ali & Jonny narrative. You see it in football a lot to create headlinee or clickbait.

1 Like

Yep deffo agree with that.

@TROSaracen that’s a bit annoying. Like you, i’d have been happy to sling a tenner. But not sure i want to drop £20 on it. And i’d rather not give £0 … but feeling a bit forced that way. Bit shortsighted there!

Just dropped the boy off at Heathrow for the race, he’s had a good four weeks build into this. It’s going to be a tough one. But no interviews or media to do so he can still keep a low profile.

7 Likes

Best of luck to him. He’s had a cracking year!

1 Like

Fully agree the media can twist/sell a story, but does look like there might be something there. Very understandable if so, although a shame if it does place a limit on JB.

2 Likes

I watched Findlay, Lawrence and the two Brownlees. Pretty much agree with what you said.

HL, seems ‘high maintenance’ !

1 Like

I think JB does have a mental block. Didn’t he suggest to AB they ease up in Rio as they had Gold and Silver nailed, at which point AB thought ‘he’s suffering’ and dropped the hammer. It was widely reported that JB had the edge on AB in their training in the lead up.

I’d hoped JB would find himself after Rio with AB off the ITU scene but he seems lost. Not sure he’s been the same since Cozumel.

“ You have to be fitter than him, because he will suffer more than you”

Seems a strange if very honest thing to say about your brother / rival.

That run average speed is going to be insane for the podium.

1 Like

I always had a suspicion that JB might surpass AB once they went long as he always seemed a bit more robust and that last ounce of speed he lacked may not be an issue.
He seemed determined to capitalise on AB’s absence in ITU before moving on though but I think the game had moved on by then. I still think the brothers training together for long course could be an awesome prospect and enough to worry anyone.

1 Like

I know results don’t lie but looking at them, I always thought JB had a much more fluid running style than AB.

1 Like

Saw the Babbitville video with Vincent Luis, was thinking he looks about 18 years old. He said he was very young at London 2012. Looked it up and he’s 31, 10 months older than JB. I wonder what moisturiser he uses?

3 Likes

I listened to a podcast in lockdown 1.0 where Greg Bennett and Macca were suggesting that JB has great Ironman potential than AB.

I can’t remember the exact points of their argument, but they seemed to suggest that with his lack of injuries and running physiology he may indeed clean up.

It’s not my place to criticise triathlon royalty (and I think Macca is great value), but they do know that JB struggles in the heat, right?

Well given McCormack came out and said he was going to Kona 12 times, then bailed with ‘mechanicals’ every time things didn’t go away (and let’s not forget why he hasn’t been back to Hawaii) I really would put much store in what he has to say.

The best story I heard about McCormack was when he lost to Stadler in 2006. My mate who raced the day before. (qualified at his 3rd IM, bastard!) was sat on the table next to Stadler at Lava Java.

Macca had been giving it large how he ‘truly believed’ he was the best triathlete in the world and said to Stadler:

"I will race you anytime, any place, anywhere’

Stadler said, “Yesterday” :joy:

7 Likes

If he went back to Hawaii would he be pulled in for questioning, or is it an unofficial accusation? I can’t remember.

1 Like

It was mostly the late Sunny Garcia mouthing off but I never saw anything from Macca’s camp to deny it, he never returned to Hawaii and never explained why.

1 Like

I was under the impression, from Slowtwitch, that he couldn’t enter the USA or he’d be pulled in. That’s clearly not the case.

Surely he’d be detained in mainland US if he was wanted for questioning in Hawaii?

Yeah I’m not 100% sure but something didn’t pass the smell test.

1 Like