Challenge events

If you’d said 20 years ago that the typical outfit worn for Triathlon would become outlawed and that you might get special dispensation to wear it, I think we’d have all said you were mad.

Is it still fashionable for girls to have the ‘90s’ look of high waisted jeans and crop tops at the moment?

times a’change.

They do; but often there’s irony around what it is people are trying to achieve.

not sure about irony? the word we use is inclusivity. so if one gender has to cover up for aesthetic, cultural, whatever reason, then so should the other. that’s one of the reasons behind the front zip must be done up rule - why should a male show all, but for cultural etc reasons females can’t. by covering male torsos it reduces any gender bias.

there’s quite a strong movement now to stop elite women wearing swimsuit style kit and adopt fuller cover, shorts style kit but that is a big change and it’s going to need to have the elite athletes to buy into it. but I can see it happening.

the sport is growing internationally and rules must develop to embrace loads of different cultures and religions now - so what we might consider acceptable may be outlawed in other cultures. there’s the issue.

Oh I understand the governing body’s reasons; but there’s plenty of irony baked into that policy though.

I can’t necessarily disagree with you! I adopt 1 of 2 hats when it comes to events - a practical, educational one for smaller local events with loads of inexperienced competitors; a more rules based one, for major events where experienced athletes should know the rules.

1 Like

I didn’t know the reason behind the front zip up rule. Interesting. Personally I couldn’t give a stuff if a man wants to unzip in the heat; but rules is rules. I wonder when/if Ironman will adopt the policy.

I did the swimsuit thing in the 80s, but that was then… I can’t understand why anyone would want to cycle without leg covering with the fabrics available nowadays. The GB girls haven’t adopted the swimsuit style, and I can only assume it’s a fashion statement. But what do I know? Maybe there’s a science behind it. I think it needs to go if the sport is to grow into new countries and cultures.

And I wouldn’t want a man exercising his equal right to wear one! Haha

I thought ironman did have the zip rule, they just aren’t very good at enforcing it. Didn’t one pro claim his zip was broken and managed to avoid a DQ, so now they just have to break their zip and can run without issue?

Glad it’s not just me who doesn’t understand the swimsuit thing. Even the suites with legs still have an open back like a swimsuit.

1 Like

probably the same year that USAT will ban males competing topless in domestic events. that really grates with the ITU by the way.

3 Likes

no - not fashion, but they realise it’s more practical and they would all prefer that other athletes adopted the style so it’s a bit of a “protest” statement as well.

I read Amanda’s comment as the people wearing high leg suits were making a fashion choice - certainly couldn’t understand a performance advantage.

But you do have to remember that male swimsuits on the continent are commonly of the skimpy variety,so it is probably fashion/culture.

always causes a problem for a lot of Brits in French municipal pools where baggies aren’t allowed.

There are a lot of broken zips around!

Very true. The French seem to favour the swimsuit style, but so do USA.

I did wonder about a protest :eyes:

Ultimately, my point is clearly that in an effort by the Governing Body to make the sport more ‘accessible’ to people of other cultures and nations, they are reducing the ‘freedom of choice’ to participants worldwide. All to encourage and accommodate nations that do not allow such freedoms of choice, to participate.

Basically it’s pandering to the sportwashing nations to an extent; because they have the $$$$ and that’s what the ITU/UCI etc want.

Increasing inclusion by reducing freedom of choice. Golf clap.

but then it’s up to you if you want take part - that’s freedom of choice as well. ultimately any sports governing body has to look at participation, inclusiveness, gender balance etc etc and not everything will go down well with many.

triathlon has evolved and grown since the 80s and the rules have changed to embrace this - whether everyone likes the changes to their sport is an ongoing debate and as they say “you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Is there an updated version of that link? Almere on my short list for this year.

Nice place to race👍

Quick course if the weather behaves too.

Hi guys. Almere ITU champ is canceled. Just ITU. But Challenge Family race Almere still hold.

1 Like

We have new ETU european championships in Middle distance + Aquabike + Aquathlon on Challenge Family race in Bled Slovenia. (Instead of Walchsee) . On 20.9.2020.
Check these sites - Challenge Bled Slovenia on FB, Youtube, Google…