Challenge Roth Race Report

Not done Solar but Wales has definitely evolved. Got very busy on the short ramp from Saundersfoot, so they barriered it. Crowds went to after the barriers ended to get close to riders - it’s now 3/4 x more people than my early Wales (done 5 :rofl:) and they go all the way to new hedges now.

Support is also insane on the run from swim exit to T1, and in town for the run.

I must bump Roth up the bucket list……

1 Like

Me going up Saundersfoot before they barriered it.

16 Likes

YeH in 2018 I noticed how much further up the hill they were and how deep. I was glad to see The Holy Father at the top :rofl:

1 Like

Roth should be on every bucket list… Reg opens on Monday at 9am UK time, will be sold out before 0905, just saying

I had an entry in 2011 but Mrs FP got quite sick for a while and needed treatment that clashed with race week, so I pulled out.

I think I got in 18mins after opening.

I won two entries for Roth. Challenge Heilbronn used to have a “Road to Roth” lottery every year with about 130 slots for Roth - I thought I was really lucky, then it dawned on me that probably not a lot of people entered :sweat_smile: Next time I do Roth, I’ll get up early and drive there to queue up on the Monday morning after race day. This is what most people do here, as I only live 1:45hrs from Roth.

4 Likes

That’s why I’m keen to hear from those that have done both because I don’t think those that haven’t done Wales really appreciate how crazy Saundersfoot is these days and I just was wondering about a comparison.

I know that’s what you wanted FP, but not a lot of people replied and it brought back a nice memory. I’ve deleted that part of my post - no problem!

1 Like

No don’t delete it, I enjoy reading these reports. I guess there aren’t that many that have done both.

Good excuse for travel :grinning:

Saundersfoot first time I did Wales absolutely wrecked me, hit the bottom all under control …got a few cheers……put on a bit more power……more cheers……caught and passed a rider …….crowd erupt……ful gas total face gurn ……crowd immense…….over the top totally knackered got passed by about twenty riders in the next 2 miles!

13 Likes

Brilliant Matt well done and great pictures looks like you got a sprint finish on too

At LCW they time you up the hill, have a gantry and DJ set up and they get the crowd worked up, especially if you are a full Long zcourse athlete. Bloody mental!

I think I shared it before but the first time I went up Saundersfoot in ‘17’ was awesome - it was my birthday and Ironman put a mini birthday cake on my bib number - one guy clocked it and ran with me screaming happy birthday - I absolutely nailed it up that climb! Cannot wait to get there this September! (Day after my birthday this year)

10 Likes

Managed to bag a golden ticket this morning :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

15 Likes

Sweet!

Me too

Many years of trying.Not being too bothered this time if I failed again served me well and I managed the form quickly with no errors :smiley:

9 Likes

Brilliant, I’ve not registered for next year. 1h20m later I have FOMO

6 Likes

any recommendations on logistics etc accomodation and the likes very welcome please

1 Like

Book Domero Roth as soon as possible

1 Like

At least for Saturday and Sunday night