Chamois Cream

Doublebase gel, similar to aqueous cream, as per recommendation from BC team, with specific reference to their female riders IIRC. Quite cheap like aqueous cream, whilst the bike branded stuff is 5-10x dearer.

Less of a problem on TT bike I find, as you have less weight on the saddle. Likewise, standing up frequently on a racer helps too. For a half I sometimes don’t bother (Adamo saddle) but definitely use it on a full IM. Haven’t actually tried vaseline but does sound like good idea for tri.

2 Likes

To answer the OP, from a female perspective, yes! to chamois cream. I have been using it for a few years and it has made a huge difference - no discomfort at all even on 100+ mile rides. I use Muc-Off - seemed to get good reviews when I was first looking into it. I have discovered this year they do a women’s version, so I am using that now. It is thicker. Haven’t noticed any difference in performance, have to say. Both good. No parabens.

Obviously saddle and bike matter too. This summer I have been enjoying some relaxed towpath cycles on my son’s hybrid bike. Technically the frame is too big for me, but I lower the saddle and love the feel of the bike.I wouldn’t want to do any more than 30 miles on his saddle, but the chamois cream does the job. I can’t be bothered to keep swapping saddles.

I have had two babies (albeit 20-odd years ago). Can’t imagine that would make a difference, although it might alter the position of sit bones? I dunno.

2 Likes

I have always used Rapha chamois cream (7 years and counting) but since zwifting I have run out of the stuff and so switched to larger tubs of Muc Off a bargain on Amazon…Using the chamois cream is more important for me on the turbo and for TTs rather than general riding or racing because of the lack of movement when on the saddle.

3 Likes

Don’t understand what all these more expensive options offer that Vaseline doesn’t :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Minty freshness?

Tingly feeling on the plums

4 Likes

I deffo think I’d pay extra for that…

1 Like

I use the muc-off one, excellent stuff, smells great too!

i just bought the assos female one for Mrs GB. Don’t know if there’s genuinely any difference in the gendered ones or not. But it was on offer for a small tub on Wiggle, and she only rides once a week.

Most of the stuff was out of stock. Muc off, assos and others. so i ended up buying one from Wiggle. Can’t even remember which one in the end. I’ll find out in a few days i guess.

Then i’ll compare to vas and see where we go from there.

I have to be honest, I don’t really need anything down there unless it’s for an Ironman. Either I have a gooch made of leather, or I have found a good shorts/saddle combo that suits me.

Bit in bold is your holy grail tbh.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if my problem is saddle related more than anything, as i think it’s more aching that chaffing. But i figured slapping something on isn’t going to be detrimental! I get occasioanly chaffage, but not too bad.

Thing is i know nothing about bike fit, and that’s a whole other flippin rabbit warren. I have no doubt my fit is crap, my shoes are definitely crap and my saddle is just the stock Selle Italia one on the Canyon. Running is much simpler!

I ditched the saddle that came with my Canyon almost immediately. It had a raised central area that felt it was cutting me in half!

It was a Fizik Aliante R5. Went on ebay!

My pressure is on my sit bones (i think). But i have no idea where to start on a new one!! And no doubt they cost a fortune!

I don’t know if the frame feels small (i went by the Canyon calculator and it came up with this size every time, regardless of me inflating dimensions etc). But it’s fine when i’m sat up quite upright. I guess it’s an endurance bike, so that’s just the geometry of the bike. Basically i have no idea what i’m doing when it comes to bikes!

I actually get on really well with the PX Arione copy! Nice and flat with a grippy central suede strip. I’ve got one on my Canyon, and did a couple of IMs on one, although I prefer the Cobb V Max for TT bikes.

Highly recommended !

2 Likes

you took a real close up pic Mungo… or you literally ordered a buckets worth ?? :grin:

2 Likes

He must go through some.

All those 7hr turbo sessions :rofl:

4 Likes

Never used it!
Local roadie, nice fella, put me on to it, £10 for about double the size of the assos pot.

Pic was a close up as didn’t want my athletic virtual friends to see the mess in my boot!!

2 Likes

200 ml

Yep…
oh the pain I went through …

Bike fit …! Made a huge difference

The saddle
Dash9 or fabric elite tri

Shorts

Raceskin tri shorts LD pad…

Obviously cream too … the odd time I’ve forgotten cream I’m still fine… pity it took me 30 years to find the saddle and shorts.

2 Likes