Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

“The Reacto CF5 needs just 209 watts effort for 45 km/h speed, 1 watt faster than its predecessor so…”

What the?

I wish I hadn’t started looking at bikes. So stressful ha ha.

It’s salary sacrifice, so you may lose those pensions payments from your employer based on the amount of salary you sacrifice depending on how your employer sets it up
Plus, what you’re purchasing has to be at RRP.
Payments spread over one year, or maybe two now?
Then you can choose to take ownership at something ridiculous like 22%, or opt for them to keep it and you continue to enjoy the benefits for another year or two and then you pay the 7%.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it anymore.
You can buy what you actually want from anywhere you want in the sale, or nearly new, for cheaper overall :+1:t3:

Also affects death in service etc.

However, it is useful to bring you under £50k if you’re claiming child benefit, or reducing the amount of Child Maintenance you pay (if you have kids elsewhere)
Flip side, it also affects mortgage affordability calculations.

Basically, have a good think about it before committing.
11% overall inflation, 4% interest rates by end of next year, 15% food inflation…

1 Like

I look at it slightly more simply than Poet … you get a decent bike, probably a bit cheaper than you might otherwise, paid in instalments.

However, if you can get it on interest free instalments through Klarna (insert other lender name as required), why would you bother with the hassle?

3 Likes

When they first introduced it, it was much better. You got bike VAT free, so essentially £833 for a grand (you could get a decent bike for 1k then) paid the cost monthly out of salary sacrifice saving full 40% saving another 320odd quid, and paid a nominal fee at end (a pound iirc) so it was essentially a 1k bike for a little over 500notes interest free for a year

3 Likes

So when it’s saying 1400 for a 2500 bike the catches are that you have to stay employed by that company, a fraction of the employers pension contribution and you might be able to find the same bike as cheap elsewhere?

4 Likes

Exactly that :+1:t3:

3 Likes

So where can I get an Emonda ALR6 for £1400?

Last time I looked at bikes I wanted a climbing bike even though, they’re all the frickin same, I settled on Emonda.

Prices seem to be lower again? Bikes seem to be made of aluminium again? Is it 2012 again?

Cup and cone bearings are the spawn of Satan!
Brompton felt like a shopping trolley coming into work this morning, got a few tools at work but nothing thin enough to get at the cones so will have to ride it back like that by the looks of it too.
Ps. Before you say it, no it doesn’t always feel like a shopping trolley :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Got home and stripped the front wheel to find the cone on one side is completely worn and misshapen so not just a grease and adjust job.
Complete new spindle is only £5 from SJS Cycles (plus £1.99 for bearings & grease) so may as well start afresh. Cups look Ok as far as I can see.

1 Like

I quite fancy a Brompton but the prices are eye watering second hand.

2 Likes

Yeah, they hold their value really well. I got mine on cycle to work scheme years ago and it’s served me well. I only use it a couple of times a week nowadays.

1 Like

I’m keeping my eyes peeled, it would be really handy to have.

One of my mates was into Brompton racing , apparently its like a normal bike race except you start with the bike folded up, and you have to wear leather shoes and a collar!

5 Likes

I know I always advise people to take their clothes into the office one day and cycle the rest carrying nothing, but it’s a bit of a ball ache having to have laptop and only being in twice a week would minimise commuting.

So, what’s the best way to fold your shirts to come out looking like someone who hasn’t cycled into work?

I tried a merino polo on Fridays but I still need pressed shirts really. I’ve got a Non-Iron shirt which kinda works, but I haven’t risked sticking it in the rucksack until tomorrow…

Roll the shirts rather than fold

2 Likes

So, I’m thinking that works for say polo shirt or a cotton oxford button down, not so much for a “Cutaway Collar Non-Iron Tyrwhitt Cool Poplin Shirt”…

The chinos I think can getaway with being crumpled.

1 Like

Yes when i needed proper clothes non iron cotton from Marks was my choice :rofl: generally came out ok, depending how much other crap i needed to carry.

2 Likes

Also, thinking about how often I’m showering I may just leave the shirt there for weeks.

06:00 Shower proper
08:30 Shower just to rinse off the sweat
13:00 Shower after swimming
19:00 If I can be bothered, shower again

How sweaty could the shirt be? :laughing:

3 Likes

Try wrapping your shirt around your laptop.

Like hammer, I’ve been wearing the easy iron M&S shirts. My commute is significantly shorter than yours though

3 Likes

Commute from hell lol

Welcome to Glasgae :rofl:

1 Like