Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

When I worked 26km away, routine was:

Monday morning drive in with spare shirt on a hanger, pants, socks, running kit, bike kit, deodorant.
Monday evening ride home

Tuesday morning ride in
Tuesday evening drive home via running club sess

Wednesday day off

Thursday morning drive in + spare shirt, pants, socks , bike kit.
Thursday evening ride home

Friday morning ride in
Friday evening drive home with all the dirties.

This meant never having to ride with a bag which I hate. On the odd occasions I got out of sync , just rolled up a m&s easy care shirt as above & probably looked like Worzel Gummidge

More importantly it meant getting that exercise fix without having to think too hard except on Sunday night.

Edit to say: summer only. Tried it in the dark a few times and it scared the bejeezus

6 Likes

Did that this morning, think it’s worked well enough :+1:

1 Like

My panniers have the standard side pockets and a top box - I always put the shirt on top of the other stuff in the top box. With no weight on it, shirts didn’t crease.

Rohan do good crease free shirts. Quite pricey but they do last for ever :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Next question: wolves have eaten the straps on my panniers. How do you recover from that?

I just about managed to close them this morning, but probably got wolf saliva/rabies/tetanus/AIDS in the process.

1 Like

Set a trap, capture the wolves, skin them and make new straps

6 Likes

Possibly the best answer provided on TT this year. Kudos.

3 Likes

Obviously it’s an epidemic :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This sort of thing really does make me despair

3 Likes

Are we allowed to cycle in bus lanes?

I’m cycling into Chester tonight & part of my route has a shared ped/cyclist path on one side, then a quiet bus lane & then the road.

The shared path is busy with peds/dogs, it’s uneven to allow access to people’s drives & it has random street lights/signs planted in it.

Can I use the bus lane? Is it only something a country bumpkin like myself would worry about?

3 Likes

Yes, and Yes.

Try not to get sandwiched between two buses though. It can be intimidating.

2 Likes

Sealand Road? Can’t think of anywhere else they made separate ramps for every drive.
Ruined a good run interval road that did!

That said, with the river to the south and greenway to the north, I presume you mean somewhere else?

Depends on the signage surely. Bus lanes differ all over the country and every borough in London.

Bl**dy cyclist’s filling up the bus lane’s, taking up the whole width of the road, delaying everyone else, when there’s a perfectly good cycle path right next to it. If you had a number plate and insurance at least we could fine you. AND you don’t even pay road tax to be in the bus lane in the first place. (copyright Daily Mail reader)

11 Likes

Saltney to Handbridge :+1:

1 Like

The road is fine

1 Like

Cyclists have always been allowed in bus lanes. Before they built the cycle lanes in London that was the only benefit that you had as a cyclist over getting stuck in the main traffic jams.

It may be the case that all London bus lanes permit cyclists, but access for any road user depends upon the signage for that specific lane - it varies between and within local authorities.

This is why I asked.

I did see a sign that looked like the bus lane was for the use of motorbikes & buses but I had a vague memory of cyclists having permission as well… @Bob & Google seem to say this isn’t always the case.

I think I broke the law last night :supervillain: .

4 Likes

Good job you don’t have number plates then :rofl:

7 Likes

Anyone else sweat to death this morning? I assume its the humidity. Can’t remember the last time I had to deploy the towel the second walked into the office. Kit is sodden too :hot_face:

6 Likes