Cotswold 113 #halfIRONWAR

I live locally and often pass Willow Pool B&B. It is just up Spine Road so location is ideal…might be worth a go. A few reviews which are good and it doesn’t appear to do web booking so less likely to be booked up.

Cotswold Willow Pool
Oaksey road, Poole Keynes, Cirencester GL7 6DZ
01285 861485

EDIT: I am also impressed by the trophy and disappointed not to be competing for the bling :laughing:

1 Like

Cheers folks!

Premier Inn is no dogs, Travelodge is 2 miles away from Cirencester, so not that nice to walk into town, either (had a google maps of it)

The waterpark is mind boggling! So many options…but like you say, they all want three nights.

I do not camp.

I’ll give the two mentioned a try…my wife will enjoy the breakfast, as will the dog.

Ooo, that’s more classy than some of the proper trophies I’ve had! The stakes have risen.

1 Like

Nothing like getting your accommodation sorted early :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah. I’d not thought it through :see_no_evil:don’t much fancy the 1am drive down, drive home, then drive to work the next day.

Mind you, with a 0600 start, you have to wonder if it’s worth paying to stay somewhere for one night! My alarm will be set for 3am, and I live about 30 minutes away that time of the morning.

1 Like

That was the original thought…but getting up is getting harder with my old age

One can only sympathise with you 37 year olds.

Jeez, you guys are posting some serious quick times. I think you’ll all be finished, changed and in the pub by the time im crawling over the finish line.
Im in wave 4 (number 523), and im just hoping to finish, so no idea of target times. Never been this distance before and a few niggling injuries have stopped me doing the full bike and run distances in training. I’d rather come last than quit, so as long as i get through the bike leg, i think i can wing the run (can you wing a half-marathon?).

2 Likes

Hi Johnny5,

Most IM finishers walk the marathon, so there’s no shame in doing the same for a half.

Doing exercise for this length of time is pretty extreme.
We’d all do well to remember that

1 Like

@Johnny5 Good to have you on board :grinning: I walked almost the entire half marathon of my first one. Nothing wrong with just wanting to finish. :+1:

Wave 1
Jorgan No. 24 Target: Operation HalfIronWar (he wants to defy time with a 4:38)
Poet No. 16 Target: Operation HalfIronWar (i will overbike and die on the run, but he still won’t catch my lard arse)
Buzz ???

Wave 2

Wave 3

Wave 4
Johnny5 No. 523

Wave 5
Wheezy No. 635 Target 4:54:59 (might as well split the difference)
Andy G No. 527 Target sub5?

1 Like

We like it extreme!

#data. Of course only really any use to me, and my fitness varied over these. Best race there was the Classic in '15; that was off the back of Frankfurt. Best run was 1:28 in '13 off back of IM Austria. There’s a pattern. Last year was an ‘easy year’ for me and I barely rode my TT bike, hence the result.

Of course the bike will be different this year; there’s a good chance it will be pan flat, as the affected section is on the way to the only hill!

VI is quite large on those - any particular reason?
I’ve been trying to keep it low and steady

The hill is short & sharp, followed by a long fast descent where you’re better off freewheeling in a tuck. Plus it gets busy & is a race, so quite a few surges to stay with people, overtake them or simply sat in traffic i.e soft pedalling. You can get stuck behind cars on lap 2 on the Spine Road too, as it’s so busy with everyone on the course. The data you can see below Cotswold is from an event with a pyramid ascent profile!

My riding style is to ride the hills and coast the other side in the tuck. Which will give a bigger VI. I often catch people who are pedalling downhill…because it’s less aero :wink:

1 Like

Cheers.
I was reminded last night that I’m awful at descending on the TT bike, even on simple descents.
If it’s windy, I’m screwed :sob:

My VI should be pretty low in Hamburg, there’s just over 400m of ascent in 183km!

Was this your exemplary ride with a VI of 1.17 :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah yeah yeah.
That was an enjoyment ride.

Back to the grind tomorrow

Looking back at some old IM files, there are plenty of 1.05/06 rides in there - again because I tend to coast the long fast descents; plus you’re slowing at the aid stations etc.

1 Like