COVID-19 The Thread

I’m going to need a few basics in the next day or two, like rice and bread… I may have to buy a few other bits that I don’t need at the same time, just so people don’t think i’m hoarding when they look in my shopping basket! :joy:

2 Likes

Ah ok, I’d missed them all then!

Lakesman off…
It’s short anyway!!!

1 Like

I just overheard a conversation, where a guy summed-up what I felt the situation to be here at work: I’ve got various people from the CEO-down telling me to work from home, but not actually telling me to WFH.

4 Likes

+1

Yep, me too.

Euro 2020 now postponed for a year. That wasn’t one till June / July. Seems like people think this might go on for longer as other sports stuff that was canned was all March / April stuff.

Japanese PM still adamant the Olympics will go ahead. Dont know how he can really commit to that at the minute when no one really knows how this will pan out.

Almost everyone will have to fly to Japan; has he heard about the impact on the airlines? Let alone how many people will want to travel 1000s of miles from home after a pandemic like this. I think a lot of people will pull-up the drawbridge for 2020 as far as long-haul travel, even if the restrictions are lifted. The rest will be skint.

Yeah, that assuming its even over by then. Even if Japan have it under control, other places might not and everyone swarming in tone place could kick the whole thing off again.

I am assuming as well some qualifiers may have been moved already and some countries wont have decided who is going.

There’s no way Tokyo is going ahead.

1 Like

This is the biggest International crisis since WW2; so it makes sense to expect things to change. So a few things like Olympic Games might need to be cancelled.

1 Like

Although Euro 2020 getting postponed might be so the domestic leagues and Euro clubs can finish their season. Club v. Country, clubs will always win when their is money at stake.

When you put it like that it kinda brings home how serious this is. I don’t think your wrong.

Yup. This. Totally.
The financial fallout from this will be far, far reaching.

Agreed. This is going to be global financial carnage like we’ve never seen.

I’ve been stuck on hold now for ages trying to get through to my travel insurance. With the new FCO advice, my training camp is now unsurprisingly officially off. Spoken with the chairman of my tri club (who runs the business) and they’ve already incurred all their costs, so no chance of a refund. With how things are looking like developing, I need that £1k+. I will also want to understand if I can get a refund on my BA flights. BA are offering vouchers for all travellers, but what if you just want the cash back? I’ll be losing my excess on the training camp fees anyway

YUP!
If you paid for it on a CC, just charge it back.

We call it the Ebola elbow!

Weird one there. They invoice via paypal, and I’ve read in the past that can invalidate CC insurance. Never had to claim before.

Also, do the CC company then just get that money back from the training camp people? Or do they effectively underwrite that risk to their own insurance? If the former, I don’t want them to go under so would eat my £50 excess to claim off insurance.

Ultimately, whilst with my job I’m pretty comfortable with most things financial, I’ve only ever claimed on insurance once in my life, and never on travel. I don’t actually know the sequences of events, or priority orders for what I can or should do.

Flights were bought direct with BA paid for direct on my Amex. If I don’t want the BA vouchers, can I just ask Amex to give me the money back direct?

Training camp fees paid for via their website, which uses paypal invoicing. £100 deposit, and then the balancing payment. Again paid for on my Amex, via paypal.

Covid sitting strong in 6th place, all time thread responses.

Not far off 5th place. With the banning of swimming, that spot has got to be coming soon. Bit of a jump to 4th through 2nd.

Fark. Unleaded down to 1.14/litre in the village!

1 Like