COVID-19 The Thread

Just wait for the Daily Mail Article “Joggers are literally murdering the elderly and at risk” society loves to have someone to hate, and overweight, chainsmoking alcoholics already hate fit people

6 Likes

It’s one of those classic situations though isn’t it, where the ‘thing’ is very visible and easy for people to have an opinion on, so easily gets too much focus.

Think the environmental outcry, and subsequent action, on plastic straws. All it took was a video of a turtle with a straw up his nose, and the nation went mental. Whereas everyone knows that a few plastic straws, no matter how bad they are i’m not disputing that in the slightest, are but a drop in the ocean when compared to the wider problem. The same is happening here - it’s hard for people to get their heads around a theoretical situation whereby we see the decline of an individual’s mental and physical health by being stuck inside eating ready meals. But it is SO much easier to have a go at someone riding on an easy mtb trail on their own around the common for example.

My biggest risk come school shutdown will probably be trampoline based. I;ll be going stir crazy, so i’m going to help kid #1 to start learning some new moves to keep her active and engaged (and i want to teach myself how to backflip). On another note, got her watching videos of Simone Biles at Rio the other day and, cheesy dad post alert , i was really shocked at how emotional i got seeing her eyes light up watching this superstar. It was like a light swiched on inside her head, a light that no matter what I said, i could never access.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t use “literally” it would be actual murder.
Not to mention the house prices :wink:

Luckily, where I am, is relatively flat, which negates a lot of the inherent risk in descending.
There are loads of country lanes, which aren’t used a lot by cars at the busiest of times, let alone now.
If I stay within a 20 minute/10km radius of my house, that seems to offer a “safer” option.

GAH!!!

I’d be happy to do that around Tatton Park…if I had a mountain bike :wink:

I agree, I was planning on riding and running outside until they say I can’t. I will keep it easy/steady and not long rides to keep from compromising my immune system. I don’t see crashing as a major threat, even less so than normal. I am not a memebr of a club so that isn’t an issue.

I will still use the turbo mid-week as that all life allows. If/when we get to lockdown I will stay indoors for training. Hopefully we can do some gardening.

@Poet
At home
bored
Credit card
mtb bike sized gap in the scullery
Park nearby

3 Likes

[doing your bit for the economy]

3 Likes

I’m about to pay stamp duty, I think that will pay for a nurse for year :wink:

2 Likes

my cycling club said the same thing, they also said that any ride meetup request will be deleted from the club page. Also highlighted you are not insured under BC / club at this time

1 Like

I walk my dogs in my local park every morning and there’s a lot more people running there now, mostly faces that I don’t recognise. I’m sure most of them would normally be on their way to work at that time or maybe in the gym, but now they’re home working.

It’s interesting that the current government advice even for those self isolating is that it’s OK to leave the house for exercise. I would imagine that you would go stir crazy if you were confined completely to a small flat.

1 Like

I’m Digging for Victory :smiley:

Seed potatoes, onions, carrots and pak Choi to be delivered soon.

2 Likes

I just realised I am sat working and still in my pyjamas :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Me too! We’re planning to deep clean the greenhouse this weekend and replace a dozen cracked and broken panels with spares. Then toms, cucumbers and chillis go in. DIG FOR VICTORY!

1 Like

you are not the only one. put my cycling kit on soon and do a zwift race i think. i will have to get changed at some point to do the school run

1 Like

I’ll be on just after 12:30

Have BC banned cycling?

I’ve just requested a mortgage holiday, and apparently am one of many :frowning:
I presently have no income and will run out of savings next month. My two job interviews this week that I was relying on were cancelled. I can’t sell my empty house that is mortgaged. Times are not good at the moment, at least I have my health I guess.

9 Likes

Coe saying its too early to decide on the Olympics. But as has been said how the chuff is anyone supposed to train? KJT was saying she has had to come home from France where she trains, but now all the venues are closed she has no where to train. Not very easy to practise the shot put and high jump in your lounge.

Even if the world has recovered enough by July to stage, and I doubt it will have, who wants to see an Olympics with a bunch of half trained people.

Shit man, really sorry to read to that.

The knock effects of this virus are going to hurt.

1 Like