COVID-19 The Thread

I think we all are right now. Hold tight, another 6 weeks and the worst of it should be over.

3 Likes

Not sure how it works today, but many years ago if a patient needed blood in the USA you had two choices:

• Add the cost of the blood to the rest of your medical expenses OR
  • Provide like-for-like blood donations from friends and relatives and not get charged.

Sorry, Iā€™m supposed to be doing something else, so got to goā€¦

3 Likes

Would be nice to be so confident, however with the current R rate now well into lockdown, weā€™ll still be looking at well over 20,000 cases a day, which with the transmissability of new variant there will be limited options on opening things up with such case volumes.

I cannot see any further steps that can particularly get R signficantly lower, indeed itā€™s likely to edge up again as more people get comfortable going out, more people edge the rules further.

2 Likes

Yer but vaccines innit

1 Like

But the R number is still above 1 in lockdown.
An vaccines aint a magic shield, innit.

We needed a ā€œlearn to live with itā€ strategy from Day 1.
Not this ā€œhope for a vaccineā€ one :man_shrugging:t4:

Press conference at 5pm.
Iā€™ll either be rushing my tits off to get a change signed off before the weekend, or Iā€™ll have given up and be walking the dog to Waitrose for some booze.

1 Like

I disagree.

Every day more people are jabbed. Millions of them during February; all from the most likely to get seriously ill/die groups.

More people have also been effectively vaccinated by catching the illness and recovering.

Of the remainder that havenā€™t caught it so far are probably lots of folk who are very disciplined, and have a life that really has them out of the virusā€™s way. The virus will have run through a lot of its ā€˜low hanging fruitā€™ already and wonā€™t have the same R through this residual population.

Finally the virus loses transmissibility naturally with warmer weather/stronger sunlight.

I see the R falling and keeping on falling.

4 Likes

Learn to die with it. There is no living with it for the elderly. Vaccinating the most vulnerable is the only way I can see that we will move on from here.

Have you seen that the ā€œrecoveredā€ numbers are significantly higher than the deaths? It just doesnā€™t get reported. Itā€™s a serious, horrible illness but people (any age) are recovering from it.

2 Likes

We needed a ā€œget infection rates as low as possible and keep them thereā€ strategy from Day 1

Sadly it is now far too late for that as we have let it rage through the population :frowning_face:

Yes, you are right that many recover. The estimated death rate is 1% and 88% of all deaths have come from the top JCVI cohorts, meaning their mortality rate is significantly higher than 1%. Thatā€™s not something you can let go unchecked.

Nah, last week it was, very unlikely to still be, current indications have it around 0.9 - the headline on the BBC is old news, that was while it was still doing the last of the household infections at the start of lockdown.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t the vaccine just surpress symptoms, rather than stopping people catching the virus?

Surely thatā€™s likely to push up infection rates if thereā€™s a load of people who feel invincible, but it should reduce deaths.

ā€˜Cos thatā€™s worked out mint for the countries who did that :man_shrugging:t4::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@JibberJim - 3rd to the 10th that R-rate, isnā€™t it? So some people still at school. A few days prior to ā€œlockdownā€ - but judging by the queues Iā€™ve seen at Costa, McDs and the sheer amount of cars on the road, Iā€™d be doubtful itā€™ll be under 1 :disappointed:
You know I love the taste of hats, right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Reported today:

Examples where that hasnā€™t worked? Itā€™s worked out quite well for NZ and Aus :man_shrugging:

Itā€™d worked out quite well for us during our summer months, too.

Hard lockdowns?
Spain, Italy, France.

I recall the French had to carry an attestation card with them to prove they were only going out once per day.
The Spanish were under virtual house arrest.

Like Richard Ashcroft sang;
Now the lockdowns donā€™t work
They just make you worse
But Iā€™ll never see your face again

They still have to do that now itā€™s just that itā€™s required between 6pm-6am. The reasons for the attestation are also stricter now.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s not current at all, lots of different estimates. If the rate has continued at 1-1.4 range then we are finding less and less of the cases every day, and the cases are even less representative in the Zoe data than previous. Both of those things seem unlikely, and the most recent middle estimate of 0.9 fits daily case data and Zoe data, and as Poet says, some of the period wasnā€™t completely locked down, and there was some remaining household transmission to shake out.

0.9 is still huge for lockdown, it was much lower last time, the new variant really is more transmissable.

No one is mentioning Germany. In one city they had a total of 80 deaths up until 1st December. Now theyā€™ve got 340. Itā€™s all gone a bit pear shaped there. Not entirely sure the reasons why.

1 Like

Itā€™s not what you do in lockdown that is important, other than locking down soon enough and long enough to get the infection rate low enough. Itā€™s what you do afterwards to keep it there.