Cremated or buried

Cheapest.

3 Likes

It’s a grand with the co-op, although cheaper in glasgow (less fuel required 'cos they’re all pickled?)

3 Likes

MiL wanted a “nice” coffin, even though she and Mrs W were the only people who saw FiL in it before it got sent to the crematorium :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It cost us £14k for the MiL burial, including the plot in SE London plus £5k for the headstone plus about another grand for various admin fees and licences. It’s a friggin’ rip off and painfully slow. Took close to two years in all.

7 Likes

I’m with all those who hate crematoriums.
I particularly dislike some random ‘priest’ (insert alternative person of authority as appropriate) pontificating on the person’s life, having never met them. I appreciate that it’s not their fault, just doing their job etc but I always think there must be a better way.

Anyway, I have for some time wanted to be buried under a tree so that as I decompose, the tree grows. No need for a headstone, the tree seems a more fitting memorial (to me at least).
I hadn’t looked for a few years but there are a lot more sites now, the best looking one for me is on the Llyn peninsula in Gwynedd:

Hopefully have a few more years for a better site (for me), ideally would be interred somewhere near the Halkyns :slight_smile:

7 Likes

thanks for that link.

turns out there’s a natural burial ground near Usk - close to the maternity hospital (closed many years ago) I was born in. seems a logical choice eh??

5 Likes

I wonder how much of the costing for funerals is driven by the insurance market?

The insurers are selling policies that pay out £X so the funeral providers price accordingly

3 Likes

Yeah - that anonymity, mourners being herded through and leaving just as the next batch arrive… :frowning:

Tree’s a great idea.

2 Likes

The shortage of land, they said to us. You’re a captive market when you’re trying to carry out wishes expressed in a will and have a feckin annoying SiL who’s clearly got mental health issues and an executor of the will and prepared to block everything and suggest nothing like how on earth you’re going to raise £14k to pay for it all.

£20k for a burial has got to exclude a lot of ordinary folk, a church burial is even more.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can see that shortage of burial plots would be an issue, especially in London. I guess historically the plots were reused over time, but that doesn’t happen anymore.

When Mrs W’s granddad died, the Greek Orthodox Church didn’t allow cremation. It was much cheaper to fly the body to Cyprus and bury it there than it was to bury him in London.

2 Likes

Yep - you can generally tell as the ground level is somewhat higher than the surroundings

2 Likes

It does, but still not much, it’s allowed in London.

2 Likes

Is lightly sautéed an option?

Otherwise soylent green would be my preference.

2 Likes

How about being chucked into an active volcano? That’d be kind of niche. Best of both worlds, almost.

4 Likes

:volcano:

Fun day out for everyone too

1 Like

Ideally you would time it to coincide with Lanzarote week, or Hawaii.

4 Likes

Make a spectacle of it - I see your thinking

Would they roll you down off a red carpet?

( & 10 additional points for cult film
reference )

1 Like

Take it one step further and save the planet why not?

3 Likes

When I was 14 my mother gave me The Fireside Book Of Death.

It had a whole section on being buried alive.

:neutral_face:

4 Likes

My manifesto has this already in plan;

Circus Cannon
Dover Cliffs facing out to sea
Helmet optional

You select the charge/flight time

4 Likes