Discussing the news

Wasn’t it a border agent that finished him off as they responded quickest?

He bought 400 rounds of ammunition. Standard scaling for an infantry is 180 (6 mags).

1 Like

Talking of which. Thoughts?

1 Like

Very low.

1 Like

Wow - in the last decade. Real Madrid have won the CL 5 times! Modric has been with them for every one of them. Along with la liga, copa del rey and national team duties - that is one hell of a record!

Yeah Meghan - :face_vomiting:

FTFY

2 Likes

Frogmore Netflix in the pipeline :newspaper: :face_with_monocle:

We are absolutely winning here :joy:

Just had pizza and chips for lunch.
Good job they’re now 3% cheaper.

Jacket potatoes with cheese for supper.

Sausages for breakfast.

Food inflation?
My arse!

If pasta has gone up by 50%, just eat more sausages and cheese, right?

Pfft.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Randomly. How much do people spend on a weekly shop. Per head?

We are shite at shopping. As much as i like cooking planning a weeks worth of meals and shopping for it we both struggle with. End up going to Tescoes Express or I go to waitrose because i think its better and spend a fortune.

But I sat down and did a meal plan, got stuff for lunch and dinner every day, cereals for kids breakfasts. Family of 4. Click and collect from Tescoes it was £111. So about £27.50 per head. Every meal is based on having meat or poultry in it.

How did i do?

4 Likes

Yeah - my membership went up a few quid.
Think it’s £34pcm now.
To swim every day.
And the gym.
And classes.

It’s a charity ran enterprise who run it for the council, but at those prices :+1:t3:

People pay £5 for a single swim there :exploding_head:

2 Likes

So why has jacket potato cost gone up :angry:

1 Like

'cos the energy required to make a raw potato into a jacket potato is a higher proportion of the input costs than the potato…

3 Likes

Covid was the best thing to help our food shopping. Led to us writing a weekly plan to only go shopping once and still stick to it. No little trips out just for milk that end into turning into other things.
Averaged around £50-60/week for 2 adults, very much cheap skates from aldi, not much meat but no crisps/biscuits or other cheap calories so lots of fruit and veg.

ETA: No random midweek shops does mean no raiding the reduced to clear though :expressionless:

6 Likes

Anyone get the shakes?

1 Like

Not entirely sure what any of that is

Naturally ended up googling headlines

9 Likes

Sorry if I have missed it, but where are people getting their news?

I don’t really watch TV so find out the news by reading online. BBC news and Guardian have the advantages of being free and easy, but perhaps sometimes seem to have a bit of a left wing or woke agenda. This is only a minor irritation though, and hey it’s free. I also read al Jazeera when can be bothered, which in my view has a really balanced and global perspective but is pretty dry.

Eg: Here’s a story on Al Jazeera this morning which I didn’t see on either BBC or guardian

And their reporting of recent US drone strike on an old man on his balcony seems neutral and factual.

Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

Reuters tends to be decent. BBC definitely push an agenda and quite often “big” news stories just arent reported.

All of the UK papers have a left or right lean.

When the weather was hot recently, evert story by the BBC ended with the same paragraph about climate change. Im not a climate change denier I know its real and dangerous, but stop ramming down my throat.

4 Likes

This has been my search for years now. A decent news outlet or aggregator. I still haven’t found what I’m looking for, as some bloke once said.

I tend to read Al Jazeera and the FT as my primary sources and then dip in and out of others. I try to read all sorts to challenge my own bias. I don’t think it works however, like a grumpy old man I generally tut and mutter well that’s bollocks before shuffling back to more comfortable ground. That’s been happening for years now :grinning:

I use the website 12ft.io to read behind paywalls. The only one it doesn’t work on is The Times.

3 Likes

Ooh nice tip :+1:

My parents get The Times every day on actual paper and often hand it to us later. Not to read, so much, but it’s great for lighting the woodburner.

F-in-law gets the Daily Mail. Turns out we don’t need THAT much paper to light the woodburner…

4 Likes