Dissect my run form!

no, eJC is your fave because even though you tower over me, i’d still kick your butt all the way down the Old Kent Road if you stepped out of line :slight_smile:

I appreciate that in this day of instant gratification, you want someone to tell you everything, but, as I have tried to explain, this would be counter productive. Now, as obtuse as my ‘stop running’ response is, what i am awaiting is either someone asking me why or, better still, going away and thinking about why i might be recommending this and coming back with either a solution or a question…either of which would be a step forward…

Not wanting to continue the regular rate of running injuries…how deliberately unhelpful is that…

No surprise actually. As mentioned above, now ejc has explained his reasoning, I do see why advice is not necessarily sensible. And I do get why when you’re a coach, it’s a bit more dangerous giving off the cuff advice versus other forum-goers offering pointers in the right direction on a bike fit.

I think it was just general frustration more generally, as the other message by someone else I quoted above had indicated, about the more general approach to forum interaction.

It seems from what you also say above that ejc is actually very giving in a coach development context when in person. I’ve known the same in coaches of the other sports I previously coached to level 2 and above, so I accept my exposure on this forum is likely not reflective of him in general. But in all truth, my experience of interaction on this forum over the years would never make me think to seek advice more formally. I imagine ejc won’t care about that, but it’s just the impression I’ve got over time.

Fighting talk, but I’m feeling generous so I’ll let you off :wink: :rofl:

Completely untrue. I’ve gone from someone who knows nothing about endurance sport to someone who has read extensively, coached myself by trial and error for many years, and now works interactively with my coach to understand and explore my training plan and structure and frequently seem to make suggestions that have merit and are incorporated. I’m also more than happy to be told I’m wrong.

My nature is to love learning. I hate instant gratification. It gives you no sense of achievement or satisfaction. You say that your “obtuse” responses are to invite further thinking or questions, but largely that is just not how it’s ever come across to me. As indicated by the response of another forum member the other day.

You are quite possibly the most knowledgeable person about running on this forum, but in over 6 years on tritalk, I’ve never got the impression that you’re willing to actually lead people to enlightenment. Your stereotyping of everyone as lazy, and me wanting instant gratification, is symptomatic of how I perceive your willingness to share.

I’m a proper newbie still in the context of this forum, and endurance sport in general, and I know my limits, but wherever there is something I can input on, I try to be helpful and give context to my comments

I will say he was very supportive on numerous occasions and I’ll always be grateful and I know I can always call on him if I need. One thing you learn as you develop is that the best coaches all collaborate and share with each other and I hope I give back to other coaches around me also.
I would say one of my weaknesses is I get far too involved at times helping athletes to my own detriment, time vampires we call them. TT I dont mind, I’ve had 12 years of great help on here but in my day to day coaching. It’s why I cut many Facebook groups also

For sure. That was the best thing about coaching conventions and clinics in the other sports I previously coached. At the end of the day, very little is new or has not been done before. And the best coaches were always the ones who were prepared to give full presentations on the details and specifics of their schemes and game plans. With the mindset of, by up skilling competing coaches, it just made us better as we had to work harder to still beat them in the future.

1 Like

I sense the need to rebalance the equilibrium Stenard…

i made no mention of lazy…that’s your poor interpretation. My comment, without going back to check, i’d guess was to do with culture…

To put this into perspective, I work pretty much 15 + hours every day, 7 days a week…out of choice, admittedly, but that’s the reality. I work between private practice, volunteer coaching and volunteer Team Management. My volunteering takes up approx 33% of that time. I occasionally get to train. I am currently sat on the balcony of my apartment in Mallorca - on holiday - and thus far, i spent this morning marking (unpaid) coach education resubmissions, a lovely afternoon ride and run (rare self gratification), and this evening i have been writing (unpaid). The only distraction has been a moment to catch up on TT.

Now think how more enlightening it would have been for the whole community if you had been able to bring yourself to explore why i recommended stopping…rather than just berating me for not encouraging you all to get injured…

I note that your work with your coach has enabled you to be accepting of being told when you are wrong. Well this is where I part company with your coach…there is no value in telling someone that they are wrong, but there is in creating an environment where the athlete (and/or the coach) can work out both where they are right and wrong and why they are right or wrong. When you get to that stage, particularly about running, you can work things out for yourself…and there are people like me who can help you fill the gaps when you have established the basics…

2 Likes

You did in response to GB on the other thread I quoted…

And there you’ve just jumped to conclusions. What you’ve described is exactly what happens. I specifically chose my coach as he’s collaborative, whereas other I know locally act more dictators. Some friends like that structure as they just want the sessions to complete. I want the discussion and the debate around what I’m thinking, what he’s thinking, and agreeing a direction of travel. Saying “I’m more than happy to be told I’m wrong” was a straightforward way of saying I’m not so pig headed so as to not listen to arguments and explanations and change my perspective

Stenard…lazy…That’s about having the argument, not a judgement on the traits of the people involved…that is where Sloggers (wait for it) repeatedly misunderstands…being critical of a concept is not the same as being critical of the person…

well thank you for clarifying that point, but when you leave your comments open to misinterpretation, i suppose that is what we are likely to get…myself also…

I don’t understand this response. You’re statement quite clearly (at least to me) implied you were not prepared to lead the horse to water. I wasn’t saying you were thinking an individual person was lazy (pretty unlikely in a bunch of triathletes!) but that people wanting guidance to understand a concept were being lazy. That’s not lazy in my book, that’s just asking for a steer in the right direction which is precisely the opposite of lazy as their seeking some guidance.

This place has a very different type of person asking questions to IMJ. Almost everyone is engaged in their own learning.

Maybe your last sentence above is what all this comes down to…misinterpretation. You think you’re making people think and ask questions of themselves, but that’s not how it comes across to me. The way you respond sometimes would not make me think you’re open to being asked anything further.

You’re not obliged to of course. Completely understand the time constraints you mention above. We all come here of our own free will. But if you take the time to post, knowing what I now know based off this discussion, it’d be helpful (to me at least!) to give some inkling you’re prepared to help someone along the path :slightly_smiling_face:

you have a choice stenard, you can either prove than you are a bigger village idiot than i am ( a tall order) or we can discuss running…your call.

One quality observation on the other run form thread has provided more value…

I genuinely am intrigued to discuss running. But from what you’ve said subsequently, I really don’t even know where to start!

I’ve played sport all my life, and whilst I’ve frequently done “form drills”, for various aspects (including lateral and backwards movement for other sports), there’s never been a big focus on entirely breaking down and changing how anyone ultimately runs/sprints. So the starting point of “stop running” just seems so perverse based on my experience. I guess that’s also reinforced by seeing various pros running super fast, many with what even I know to be less than great form.

Would you have any suggested reading that I can start with on the subject that gives an introduction to the approach you adopt with risk free running? I really am interested.

What makes their form less than great?

There is plenty to read, but mostly it requires a lot of unpacking…so we can make this thread the ‘reading list’

Gutei raised his finger whenever he was asked a question about Zen. A boy attendant began to imitate him in this way. When anyone asked the boy what his master had preached about, the boy would raise his finger. Gutei heard about the boy’s mischief. He seized him and cut off his finger. The boy cried and ran away. Gutei called and stopped him. When the boy turned his head to Gutei, Gutei raised up his own finger. In that instant the boy was enlightened.

Was it his middle finger :smiley:

Someone like Sanders is known to have poor form, and an uneven hitch in his gait. Even he has acknowledged he needs to try and improve it. Yet he still runs faster than I probably can ever hope to

That doesn’t take the conversation forward…what is wrong with his form?

Well, I thought the reference to an uneven hitch in his gait was one thing. A lack of symmetry is surely going to lead to uneven loading (with potential for injury risk?), a lack of efficiency, and ultimately a sub optimal performance?