Doping in UK vs elsewhere

On a night hike with the Scouts in the early 80’s we happened upon a car in the middle of nowhere which was rocking. We gave them a great big cheers & ran off giggling as fast as we could :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Hadn’t remembered that one for ages, thanks guys.

5 Likes

I thought joining British cycling on the track or team sky was a way of obtaining drugs in mysterious packages and personal usage. Dr Freeman anyone. Oo La La!

1 Like

one of the bird hides on a local reserve has been closed due to too much dogging activity going on there. no idea why as it’s miles from anywhere and no road close by so it’s a fair walk to get there. but maybe the remoteness is the attraction??

brings a whole new meaning to birdwatching! :eyes:

2 Likes

5Star:
Erm, Police Interceptors!!!
Or ULTIMATE Police Interceptors!!!
Cant Pay, Take it Away

ITVBe:
Real Housewives of Cheshire (oh, hi neighbour :wave:t4:)
Or Atlanta, Potomac etc.
The Only Way is Essex
Mummy Diaries

Dave:
Top Gear
Rick Stein

ITVBe has to be the biggest pile of ‘reality’ shite out there. I CGAF what a vacuous orange buffoon in designer clothing has to offer. Hint: it’s nothing. The only thing worse, are the people who buy-in to this shallow meaningless tripe.

:tipping_hand_man: :rofl:

1 Like

It’s entertainment!
Just let yourself go into it.
Also; all seasons of Love Island on ITV Player.

:see_no_evil:

I know you’re trying to get a rise out of me Tomaž.

3 Likes

Send me the co-ordinates, I’ll make sure.

(Obviously a joke, I’m sure there are hotspots far closer to home).

1 Like

Another cycling doping story. Katie Compton multiple times US cyclo-cross champion with a 4 year ban

The irony

2 Likes

I know it’s trendy to think that only Britain is cheating and everyone else is clean as the driven snow. (no, not that snow Ulrich :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

but when the oft trotted out ’ medals per capita’ argument* is trotted out, the ‘dopers per capita’ equation always gets ignored.

• I find this line of argument laughable, it depends purely on what resources are spent on a particular sport in that country. Britain does amazingly well in swimming, given the lack of resource and available proper training. IMO, NZ punches weigh above its weight in cycling and so on…

I think NZ has followed the GB model of throwing lots of resources at specific sports where they can do well with a limited athlete base to maximise their medal count. Like GB, they’ve done very well in rowing and track cycling in recent years

Yeah that’s my kind of point, it bears no correlation to population. I wonder which Oly sport needs the least resources? I’m tempted to say marathon but I’m sure I’d be wrong.

There was an interesting article on BBC a few days ago. It showed a the oly sport ‘groups’, what their funding per annum funding was, how they did in terms of medals and what their planned budget cuts/increases are going into Paris (agreed before these Olympics, so don’t know if surprisingly successful sports in Tokyo will get a boost or not).

1 Like

I don’t get that impression from most on here, on the whole we’re a bunch of cynical endurance sports nuts who want to believe that they’re all clean but deep down (or not so deep down) know that a decent percentage are on the juice and we just don’t know which.

6 Likes

I’m watching a lot of MMA and boxing at the moment.

I was amazed to be told “most” of even the high level fighters are not on VADA / Olympic style testing.

Three fighters immediately spring to mind who in there early—mid 30”s have found supreme stamina/ power that just wasn’t there before?!

Lots of fights have been cancelled in the last six months, Covid, injuries and negotiation fall down are all legitimate excuses in this game, but several knowledgable fans are convinced most of it is ped related.

Can’t cycle off quick enough.
Still positive … they obviously test themselves
Knowing the other guy is / has been cycling, nothing to do with over priced carbon.

The face of boxing is canelo ( Saul ) Alvarez.
All ready caught twice ( clenbuterol ) he seems to go up and down weight classes at will and is party to some very dubious practices at best unethical at worst plain cheating.

Cheating is bad, in a sport we’re we run, bike swim faster than the others it’s crap, in sports we’re we inflict damage on one another, it’s probably worse, if similar, watch for a big storm in the future if there testing procedures improve, bio passports etc.

3 Likes

Not sure anyone i know thinks that…

3 Likes

The repeated references to jiffy bags suggest otherwise. I’m not saying Britain is squeaky clean but reading comments on here, it seems that looking at the problem is only done through a GB lens.

It’s only when I call it out, everyone says it isn’t so but the posting history suggests otherwise, at least to me.

probably

and given the Italy results on the track in Tokyo, I suspect ther’ll be a few hard stares at how they suddenly got so good

1 Like